Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I'm in my mid 60's and I use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pintrist. Most of my friends and family use Facebook.

I doubt that I would know what goes on in my Daughters life without them...LOL

Now video games.... (sigh).... Granddaughter is trying to show me how to play Mario Cart....LOL

@Nataliesgramma   Oh, when I mentioned loving YouTube (mostly jewelry tutorials or new painting techniques), I also signed on to Pinterest. At first, it was tricky. I had my settings wrong and had accounts/followers that I quickly learned how to delete. Now I have learned how to save items like recipes, outfits, makeup looks, photos, sayings, etc. to various categories. 

What frightened me was FB. Even though years ago I read the book for dummies, I got myself in trouble allowing too many folks I didn’t know (friends of friends of friends) into my life...sharing my private photos and sending theirs. Who were these people. I soon realized that, like w/ Instagram, many only show their false, perfect side of life....who knows the day to day? Full makeup for a selfie before posting? Borrowed expensive jewelry. No thanks. 

Social media can be a way to connect in a positive way or a downer if you see friends or family talking about fabulous vacations, new cars/boats, over the top destination weddings. Who knows if any of that is true? 

My friends here, on these forums, are real honest people. I trust them always.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

"I FEEL AS OLD AS DIRT" gee I hate that saying. So very degrading. That being said, I really don't know why so many here have been so reluctant to keep up with the times! I'm older and love todays technology. I'm learning every single day! I can't imagine life without the zest to find out new things! 

@ID2   Sorry my thread title put you off, but wanted to grab attention to my subject matter. At 71, I have many years ahead to look forward to. Technology baffles me, but have learned what I need and have plenty other interests to fill my time. 

Honored Contributor

Same here!  It seems overwhelming to me.  I think there should be a 
"rent a kid" program for these things because they all grow up with technology and are fluent with it all before they can even talk or crawl!  They don't know a world without it!  

I still have a flip phone.  I don't talk on the phone any more than I have to.  I really have no interest in being on FB, since if I want to know something about someone I will call them!  

The rest of the terms mentioned --- I have heard of them but don't really know what they are.  

It's good to know though that there are others who feel the same way!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

I'm 67.  I do use Facebook but not Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram.  I shop and pay bills and do banking online.  I read online with my Kindle app.  I've been retired 13 years but I did use a computer at work and took classes.  

My aunt turned 100 years old last month and she's on Facebook and she emails and texts.

Facebook is great for keeping up with family and friends and tons of other things.  You can "unfollow" anyone or anything you don't want to see or "unfriend."

I agree about Google - anything I don't know I go there. 

My 12 yr old grandson helps me too.

I have never played a video game - ever. 

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Listen up you young-uns! find someone that can help you with the basics text and message skills. Then you can move on to social media, email, and even Google searches. Even now we are expected to communicate with doctors, medicare,pharmacies and others with technology and not a land line. You may not master the jargon they use but you can learn the basics of the device.

think about who you see at church or out that uses devices. Ask them if they would help you. You may need help purchasing a new phone. Call your library, AARP, senior center to see about classes.

Apple stores will give classes--EVEN BASIC. I'll bet you can find 2-3 more that would like lessons. Tell your pastor you want to learn.

When my dad was in his 70's he was intimitated by a VCR player. Now I understand how he felt. But we can do this.

I'm 85, and know everything I want to know. I have zero interest in Facebook, or twitter. I don't feel left out of anything. I text,email,and have a smart phone, and am happy.

Respected Contributor

As much as I don't want to learn new things, I feel like I have to.  I have to go online to register for doctor visits, procedures etc. and it gets so frustrating.  I thought the computer age was going to simplify things.  Once I learn something I am glad I did and it usually is not that hard if I just calm down and do what it says. My husband won't text or learn anything because he has me to do it for him.  He hates even making a phone call on his cell phone.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

I am a geek, a nerd. I got a chemistry set for my 12th birthday. I have Facebook and just read posts.

I luv Twitter and YouTube.

The foreign words you can find with a Google search.

Respected Contributor

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

I'm with the majority here.  I'm 66, worked as a "secretary" in the early years.  (Learned to type in HS on a manual typewriter!!)  When I acquired our company's first word processer, I was in heaven and didn't look back. 

Even learned creating text based graphs and pie charts (before Powerpoint) and rudimentary programing of automotive databases for statistical analysis.

BUT - I have no interest in Twitter, Instagram, texting, etc.

Maybe if I had kids or grandkids, but I just call or email family members and friends.  (I'm another that recently got a new cellphone: flip phone with camera for emergencies only.)

Did have Facebook for awhile to keep in touch with nieces, nephews and former co-workers, but it got to the point where people who knew those people were sending "friend" requests; i.e. my niece's aunt that I hadn't seen in 25 years...I guess just to add to their "friends" total numbers.

Luckily I pretty much can figure out anything I DO want to explore, and DH is a retired IT Mgr. whose hobby is keeping up with technical stuff.

I DO love Pinterest, though!!!

Denise
Respected Contributor

Speaking strictly for myself, I cannot imagine having no intellectual curiosity or believing that I know all there is worth knowing. The day I stop having the desire to learn and grow is the day I want to die as there is nothing left to live for. I have kept myself pretty computer literate and keep up with professional education online even though I am retired. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to keep in touch with family and friends and I control how much information I put out there. I believe life is a journey to be lived and experienced in all its forms. Otherwise, what's the point?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, I cannot imagine having no intellectual curiosity or believing that I know all there is worth knowing. The day I stop having the desire to learn and grow is the day I want to die as there is nothing left to live for. I have kept myself pretty computer literate and keep up with professional education online even though I am retired. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to keep in touch with family and friends and I control how much information I put out there. I believe life is a journey to be lived and experienced in all its forms. Otherwise, what's the point?

@reiki604   My yearn to learn stops with what I already know about social media. I’m always reading, going to classes, workshops and enjoy improving my knowledge.