Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 ...the "reach out" term grates at my last nerve as well. I have no idea why. Maybe because it just sounds so phony to me. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

It's a balance.  Life moves on and I don't want to be left behind.  I don't want to be the little old lady marooned on a desert island.  I pick and choose what works for me.  I enjoy Facebook and I need Facebook because that is where friends and family post their vacation pictures and share their experiences and share news, like the illnesses and deaths of people we know.  There are also closed groups where I speak with people who share my interests.  I also line Instagram.  Although I'm more of lurker on Instagram.  I look, I rarely post.   I let Snapchat go right by me.  Not interested.  Same with Twitter.  I tried to use that but it seemed stupid and a waste of my time.  I prefer texting to receiving calls.  For me, texting works best when it's just a matter of sharing information.  Don't call me to ask  "what is a good cough medicine".  Just text.   I can't say that anything baffles me because Google is one of the miracles of our time.  I use it often.  When everyone is talking about something or using some phrase or word that goes right over my head....Google here I come.  Like....meme.  I take advantage of what works for me or what enhances my life.....and I fake the rest of it.

Respected Contributor

I have no clue what "meme" means. I googled it, and it makes no sense to me, so just call me stupid.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

I’m 63 and I don’t use Facebook, instagram, Snapchat either. It’s not because I can’t figure them out, in fact I find technology pretty easy to use and understand. It’s that I don’t want to use them because I value my privacy. I enjoy technology and find it fun, I understand the terminology etc. it’s just I don’t want to be bothered. Im sure I would find getting around on those sites pretty easy. To me I like to play and experiment. I’ve always had a job where I worked with computers so I’m pretty comfortable. As for a smart phone, I have a latter model iPhone and use it all the time.

Respected Contributor

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I can't help you. I don't even have a smart phone, just a cheap flip phone :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  et al, I worked in a large company before I went back to university at the age of 40 to do a masters degree.  Going back to school was a real shock to me technology wise.  Everything was computerized so I had to learn to navigate the library systems, prepare complex reports with lots of imbedded special sections, etc.  When I finished my masters degree, I ran my own one person consulting company.  

All this to say say that you learn what you have to to get along in your environment.  I made good friends in school who helped me with technology issues.  I solved all my iwn computer problems in my business.  I am retired now.  I make it a point to keep up with technology changes.  I think it is important to be independent.  

You can teach yourself a lot.  There are tremendous resources on YouTube and google.  If you really get stuck, there is usually a Community Centre, a library, classes to help you learn these things.

I make sure I help out friends who are not technologically knowledgeable to return the favours that were done for me as I learned.  When I work on committees, I a,ways look for at least one person who is computer literate as the go to.  We all bring different skills and perspectives to the table.

I would find it isolating not to be well connected electronically.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in my mid 60's and I use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pintrist. Most of my friends and family use Facebook.

I doubt that I would know what goes on in my Daughters life without them...LOL

Now video games.... (sigh).... Granddaughter is trying to show me how to play Mario Cart....LOL

Honored Contributor

OR, to REALLY REFRESH YOUR SPIRIT, RENT YOURSELF A TUBA AND JOIN A BAND!!!

I LIVE between my band rehearsals, my lessons, and my concerts. The director, a child of 70, uses cyber media to keep us all organized and on the same page.

ALL “new” words BAFFLE ME, but when I’m in band, I’m the Vocabulary Queen!

Contributor

Honestly Instagram was supposd to be the hot thing with the kids. That is why I signed up for it as some of the younger members on on it.  Needless to say I only check the website once a day and noone really posts on it.  If they do, it is the same photos they post on Facebook (the older members of the family). When the younger members do post. It is very rare.  I am sure they all on Snapchat.   My sister in law in on Snapchat.  Just a so called cooler version of Instagram.

As far as Twitter, I know alot of people between friends and family and I don't know anyone who uses Twitter.  There is a radio station I listen to on XM and one of the DJ's made a comment one time saying that they would get Tweets from fans saying the only reason they signed up for Twitter as the radio station checks Twitter more than Email.  So it seems like alot of media seems to use Twitter as a glorified Email service if that makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

"I FEEL AS OLD AS DIRT" gee I hate that saying. So very degrading. That being said, I really don't know why so many here have been so reluctant to keep up with the times! I'm older and love todays technology. I'm learning every single day! I can't imagine life without the zest to find out new things! 

"Pure Michigan"