Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Understand Why Teens Get Pleasure Out of Destruction

"Someone" set the Christmas wreath on my front door ON FIRE.   I now have a wrought iron fence and key-locking gate.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Several years ago we were parked on the street in front of my son's home.  The doorbell rang and it was the police and a nice looking boy who turned out to be 17.  The boy was going up and down the street throwing raw eggs at cars.  The police just driving by caught him in the act, took him home to his parents and the parents suggested his punishment be to clean up each car and apologize to each owner.

The policeman accompanied him as the boy went up to each door apologized and with his bucket of cleaning solution cleaned the egg off the car.  The policeman told us the boy had never been in trouble before, had good parents and the boy couldn't explain what caused him to do this out of nowhere.  

Later I was reading an article about teenagers and vandalism.  This boy seemed to fit the information in the article.  Apparently chemical events in the brain of youth can occur and spark these type of actions in children who otherwise are good kids.  

I'm sure this is not the case for all acts of vandalism, but I would guess it covers a fair number.

Esteemed Contributor

My neighbors to my left are just awful, well the adults, they don't say hello or anything, the girls wave and smile but not when they are with their mom. The mom's newest mows and trims their weeds but would also trim my plants that I placed to make a border between our two yards since theirs is just weeds and they don't mow until their knee high. I had moved my plants to the back yard and replaced them with oleanders. Can't wait till they are fully grown. Good luck with your little garden. 

Honored Contributor

I can't remember the county but I think it was Gwinnett, here in Georgia.  A family HAD a beautiful pine tree in their front yard they always decorated for Christmas.  One morning the family woke to the tree being gone.  Thank goodness they had a security camera on the front of the house as a grown man, attached a tow hook to the tree and literally pulled it out of the ground & was driving down the street with Christmas decorations flying every where.  What on earth was that man thinking?  Stupid stupid stupid!!!

To anyone that's had all of this damage done to you, I am so sorry.  Our neighbor's Aunt gave him 3 little pigs- simple little things- someone took one, just one and my neighbor was crushed cause it meant so much to him.   I don't get what the draw is to stealing, tearing up or doing damage to others' property.  Grrrrrrrrrrrr.... 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@gmkbi love that story.I always told my son that if he did something wrong then it was going to be his responsibility to make it right.He loved to throw his toys and I kept after him to stop doing it so he wouldn't break something.he ended up breaking a light at his friends house.The mother said it was okay and just a cheap light but I took my son along with his birthday money to the store and he purchased a replacement...never happened again.My son was embarrassed to be shopping for the light and told me to tell the ladies in the store that we were shopping for a light that we needed and not to say he broke one.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Your post just made me so angry.  I know the pleasure I get from my little flowers around my home. If these vandals continue to get away with that it will continue.  I would find out where they live and take it up with the parents.  If that didnt help I'd take it further. You have a right to happiness in your own home. Don't allow some punks to take it from you.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Why do they pick on certain houses?

Honored Contributor

Why are painting every teen in the whole wide world who has ever lived with the same brush....based on the actions of handful of kids.?  And over a couple plants.  Sure you have every right to be ticked off but you need to keep things in perspective.

Regular Contributor

@makena wrote:

And destroying other people's property.

Over the last three years I have attempted to build a small flower garden in our front yard.  It's not that big.  We built a small retaining wall and started with different kinds of perennials.  Some didn't make it, some lasted the summer but didn't come back the next year (as promised), and some did pretty good.  So each year I would plant new ones to replace the ones that didn't survive.  I'd not a avid gardener and didn't know much.  But I spent many days in the heat of summer pulling weeds and watering and making it look as nice as I could. 

Last weekend I started cleaning it up and removing some of the old mulch and replacing it with new and it was looking good and lots of new growth coming up.  This morning I went out and someone had taken one of those traffic cones that they put out on the sidewalk at the house before ours (they are having new sidewalks put in) and threw it in the flower bed crushing three plants.  Why???  I worked so hard at it and I think this would have been the best summer yet as they all looked as if they were coming back this year.  I just enjoyed going out each morning to go to work and seeing the different flowers opening up for the day.  It's just not fair.  I know who they are too.  I've seen them and heard them.  They are about 14 or so and the filthy things they say would shock you.  They throw fast food garbage in our yard and their drink bottles and cans, snack food wrappers.  I could just kick their little butts. 

My question to you is.....why are you blaming teens?

Honored Contributor

We live out in the country in the woods, our drive way is long and you can only see about a third of the way down it from our house. Last July 4th someone put an explosive device in our mail box and blew it up. Our mail carrier said our mail box was the only one on his route that was damaged. I think the neighbors across the road did the deed, but of course I can't prove it and would never approach them about it. When I was a kid I would have never even thought about destroying someone else's property, but some kid's today don't seem to have a problem with it. I guess parents don't teach their kids there are consequences to bad actions today.