Valued Contributor

Re: I Did Something That I Have A Fear Of

I don't know if this is a fear or phobia, but it terrifies me and before I moved into my home I had to make sure there were no frogs or toads. I have a fear of them and will freeze up in horror if I see one.
Goes back to my childhood
Trusted Contributor

@Parischic 

I'm that way with grasshoppers and frogs/toads too. I think it's because they can jump at me...

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Trusted Contributor

@sabatini 

I'm bad at both, public and one on one speaking.....equal opportunity badness! haha

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am afraid of everything.  So I just go on and be afraid and it's normal.  Woman SurprisedWoman Wink

Oddly, public speaking never bothered me.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been in front of people as long as I can remember.  When I was in the 6th grade, we would all go into the auditorium once a week and sing what we had learned in Music.

I lead the audience "sing" and the teacher played the piano.  Just another class assignment!  Never gave it a second thought.

I have sang in groups and led the groups and MC'd the performances for years. 

Doesn't mean I don't have other fears, just not that one!  

The "Skyride" on cables at the Fair scares me!  If you fell it would hurt you...bad!   Flying, no problem.  If it falls, you're gone!

Honored Contributor

Good for you!  You proved the first time you were capable!  You go girl!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't say it was a fear but more like a case of nerves.

One thing that DH and I had in common from the beginning was loving our music.  We'd sing along to the car radio and our tapes, we'd sing in the house, and sometimes I'd even sing along with the piped in music while grocery shopping.  I had no shame and didn't care. Sometimes other shoppers complimented me,  At some point I was asked to sing in our little church.  That's when I got nervous.  I practiced but my voice still quivered.  Fortunately there were no pros and everyone was nice.  The more I did it, the more comfortable I became. I ended up sing in some other small settings and sometimes DH would join me. I/we ended up doing that on many occasions over several year until my hearing went bad. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily  After having three bad experiences in the ocean and swimming pools, when I was young, I have always had a great fear of water and have never learned to swim.

Even on many vacations to Bermuda, since the 70's, I never went past my knees into the ocean. We live near the ocean and I love being near it, just not in it.

In 2006 we went to Italy for 10 days and in Venice, I overcame my fear of water. Even though I was very apprehensive, I went with my husband on a godola, on the Grand Canal.

I told myself that if I did not do it, I would regret it and wished that I had. I was nervous stepping onto the gondola and

when we started out. After a few minutes, with the accordian playing and singer serenading, I began to relax a little.

It was amazing and I would have missed that experience and all the beauty of the palazzos along the Grand Canal, if I had declined.

As much as I would love to see Italy again, that will probably

be our one and only trip there, so I'm glad that I put my fear of

water aside, for that memorable experience.

Respected Contributor

I was exceptionally afraid of death. So, I decided to volunteer with my local Hospital. I went to classes and finally was finally able to be of some help to others. I was a liaison between patient and professional staff. I will never forget my friendships with the people I met and befriended in their final stage of life. It remains a life changing experience for me.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush  That is such a brave and incredibly kind thing for you to do- to face your fear of death by being a liaison between patients and professional staff.  I'm sure you lessened the fear of facing the afterlife for many patients and provided them peace and warmth during their stay.  You have a great heart and I admire your selflessness to do that for others Smiley HappyHeart