Esteemed Contributor

Re: Husband texting other women

If the texts were troubling to me there would be no way I would ask for a vote on a forum.  I know my standards.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How can anyone see a  warden/prisoner relationship as  true love?  Who wants to live like that?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My divorce lawyer (15 years ago) told me that once I figured out my husband was cheating, I could be pretty sure that it had been going on for at least the prior 6 months. Unfortunately, my lawyer was right. What I learned: ask him what he wants and how he wants to move forward. If you think it's "platonic", then monitor as best you can. But if you think there might be more to it, then address it and be firm. He either needs to be willing to share those text messages with you, or he needs to end it. It's his choice.

Honored Contributor

@Pook

You keep talking about "friendship".  Op thinks it's gone beyond a "friendship".  That makes all the difference in the world.  I'm sticking to what she feels is going on and facts are:

She finds his messages "very flirtatious".

She was overcome with disbelief when she saw them.

When asked if his conversation was "really innocent" as he stated, he quickly deletes entire conversation.

According to what you say....it is being controlling to want to know the truth. If they have been married a long time they need to be out in the open with how they both feel and if they want to save the marriage.....get counseling.  If she is overly jealous (and I'm not saying she is) counseling could greatly help them both. 

It is my opinion, from what I hear her say, that his "friendship" could be turning into something more. What normal person wouldn't want to do something about it if she cared at all?  You can only go by what you hear and I usually give the poster the benefit of the doubt unless I know different.  I have no reason to doubt her word at this point. If she is this upset....they need to have it out and either clear the air or agree they need help.

Honored Contributor

There are people, both men and women, who are players. No matter who they are with they are always wanting someone else. The others, the non players, don't look elsewhere if they're getting what they need from the one they are with.

If you married a player, you either accept infidelity or leave. If you married a non player, either fulfill your spouse's needs, leave, or become a warden.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain  

Right.  It depends on the person and every situation is different.  I couldn't be a warden and I couldn't put up with infidelity so my choice would be leave.  She's not me. That may or may not be her choice.  We really shouldn't be going by our own experiences.  It's important to listen to what her experience is and let her decide what she can take and not take without insinuating she's a warden or controller.  

Valued Contributor

Up until the early fifties and late 60's people life expectancy was 65 years old. That's why retirement age was at 65. For the last 20 years or more life expectancy has increased to 70 to 75 years old. There has been discussion to increasing retirement age to 70 years old.

I retired at age 63, enjoying retirement after working since I was 18 years old. Enjoying life and all it entails. Age is just a number, inappropriate behavior has no  age boundaries. Suspicions of one significant other is a trust issue not an age issue. Whatever the issue you confronted head own, why other people opinions matters, at the end of the day the choice is yours...........not your husband.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

It’s not normal or acceptable, period.People who are in committed relationships don’t do these things platonically. 

You have every right to be upset!! Wether he has intentions of cheating or not he shouldn’t be communicating with another woman in that way,period!!

It's not normal or acceptable to entrap someone in a relationship where neither can be themselves and where they have to give up friendships and not make new friendships just because they are with the opposite sex.  How insecure can anyone be and how good is a relationship ever going to be with such restrictions and how long could it really be happy and last like thatl!!??

If your not happy in the relationship then leave.You shouldn’t be flirting with someone else through text or any other way. It’s one thing to have friendships with the opposite sex.It’s quite another to flirt. That’s not being insecure it’s being confident enough in yourself to not put up with your mate living on the edge.

I’ve been in a wonderful relationship for over 40 years.We are both very secure & committed.We both have friendships of the opposite sex.We never flirt!!

Respected Contributor

Kittylouwhotoo. According to the Oxford English Dictionary,middle age is between 45 and Sixty five. Do you really believe this. A 45 year old and a 65 year or not enough in the same category. If that’s the case life expecting for the 65 year old would be 126 years.,

Respected Contributor

This is how affairs begin...flirting...we are just close friends goofing around and so on. It is not appropriate for him to be doing this imo.