Respected Contributor

Re: Husband Didn't Take Me To His H.S. Reunion

I'd be hurt too if my dh did that.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been to three of my reunions(one by myself) and four of DH 's.  I am seven years older than he is but look younger.  We have both enjoyed all the reunions (in fact at one of his I think I had more fun talking to the male spouses while he caught up with his pals).  We went to DH's 50th last month and went to most of the events--had a blast!  That said, we won't go to anymore (after 50, it starts getting depressing - every time an old H.S. yearbook pic pops up on FB it means another one is gone!).

Honored Contributor

Reunions are really only meaningful for those who were there at that place in time, who want to get together and relive, as best they can, their youth... He might have been a bit less terse about it, but I don't think it was a huge deal for him to want to go to his reunion on his own. I also don't think 12:30 is so incredibly late to have gotten home. I've said it before and I'll say it again, being married or in a significant relationship does not mean each individual ceases to exist. Yes, I think you're over-reacting. I can see feeling a little hurt and even being a little miffed, but it's the kind of thing about which you speak your piece and move on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

No, you are not overreacting.  You wanted to go with him and share his reunion.  Nothing wrong with that.  Who cares if you did or didn't know anyone.  You said you wanted to go and he didn't take you.  Sure maybe he wanted to go alone, but why didn't he say that.  I don't think there's anything wrong with him going alone, but why not say that.

Is this typical of him or something out of the ordinary.  Either way, I'd want to talk about it.  If it's typical, the marriage may need work.  If it's out of the ordinary, I'd want to let him know my feelings.  I am hurt you went to the reunion without me.

Hope you are able to resolve this hurt.

Honored Contributor

@Julie928  Well maybe I'm in the minority here but first of all you definitely aren't over-reacting (in my opinion).

I'd have said I wanted to go and I'd have gone.  I'd have made arrangements for the dog(s), gotten nice clothes, been ready and said, "OK, let's go".

The fact that you WANTED to go should have been good enough for him.  I can totally understand that you wanted to meet the people who knew him way back when.

That was usually an important part of a person's life.  It would have been fun to hear the stories and meet the people.  Something the two of you could have shared (listening to him further talk about Jim or Katie or Susie in the next few days when you guys are in the car or at the kitchen table).  Who doesn't love talking about themselves?  

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, he's a jerk for not wanting you to go.

You need to think more highly of yourself.  There's a saying, "How can other's like you unless you like yourself".  From the minute we meet someone we are technically 'selling' ourselves.

It's not a matter of trust.  It's a matter of people being put in 'situations'.  I don't know if any of you have ever read just a tiny bit of some of the things that have gone on in my family, but if I had to round them up many of them happen because people were put in 'situations'.  It didn't mean they were stupid or mean or looking to do the cheating or wrong thing and they wouldn't have in any other circumstances, but ..... again...situations.

I'm not saying any of this would or did happen.  I'm saying it only took one person who 'remembered back 'when''....you hear and see it all of the time.  Especially now that people are but one click away on the computer.

Setting all of that aside.  It would have been nice if you'd have been there meeting HIS friends.  You might have been surprised at how much in common you'd have with some of them.  It would have been fun.

You are much nicer than me honey because I would not be a happy camper.  I'd have gone with him anyway.

So, say, while I'm thinking of it.  What gives him the power over you that you are working on yourself for his benefit and now that you're bummed out; you might not care anymore?  What's that about?

Are you going to give this jerk that much power?  Why would you do that?  Why go backward?  It sounds like things were a little shaky before this.  Whether it was or not, you just keep going.

The ultimate 'I'll show you' would be for you to keep improving whatever it is  you are working on and the sky is the limit.

Don't let the dogs or anyone dictate what, when or where you are going to go or even do.  They're his dogs too.

It's kinda like the children.  You know children grow up and move away and have their own lives.  

One day you might be like many of us (widows).  I hope that's not the case but if you are a widow or divorced, you need to realize how special you YOU... get it.... are?

There's only one you.....no one is going to take care of you like you will.

If you lived near me, I'd be telling you all of this except I'd walk over and put my chunky arms around you and give you a big hug.  I'd tell you to buck up and keep going.

Do not let anyone have power over you lady.  You did not over react.  Your feelings were hurt.  Just keep going.

Keep your eyes and ears open because I guarantee you it sounds like you might need to be.

There are others here who know what I'm saying.  That's the sign of a jerk as far as I'm concerned.

Heat?  Unkind?  Who cares?  OK people start busting on me because I'll not change my mind.  This dear person should have been able to go to this silly thing if she wanted to.  She's much better than me because if it was me he'd still be giving him an earful and he'd  wish to GOD he'd have taken me.

See, people and you guys thought I was so nice.  Not when it comes to people's feelings like this.  My antenna says this is a person who's very sensitive and works to please other's.  She probably doesn't do much for herself and is just now discovering she is a pretty darn good person.

If you want to bust on someone bust on me.  She doesn't need or deserve it.

To the OP.  Now you get out there and do whatever you were doing and just keep going.  If you see something that's not quite right...don't ask...look into it.  

Why was he so adamant about you not going to this thing?  I'm a suspicious person.

Honored Contributor

Maybe he wanted to visit someone there, without his wife.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read all of the responces but I am very sorry.

Your husband was inexcusably rude and self centered in this incident.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I true opposites.  I'm somewhat reserved and not very comfortable with people I don't know.  I'm not the type to walk up to a group of people and start chatting away.  My husband on the other hand is "Mr life of the party".  He's social, he's relaxed, he's a people person, he loves a good party.  He was a big man on campus type in h.s.  We didn't grow up in the same town, we did not go to the same schools.  He not only loves his reunions, he has been on the planning committees for two of them.  He never lost contact with some of his h.s. buddies.  I went to his 10th reunion with him and vowed to never go to another one.  Why?  Because I absolutely ruined it for him.  He couldn't be his self, he couldn't work the room, he couldn't hang with his buddies and talk about the old days.  H.s. reunions let us be the kids we were when we were 17....for a few hours.  We get to tell the old stories and "become" whoever we were back then.  If you happen to be the type of spouse who can go with the flow and blend in and make your own fun; fine.  It works out for both.  But in my case, my husband felt that he had to take care of me.  He couldn't just leave me at the table and go off and enjoy his self, the way he wanted too.  He couldn't enjoy the experience because I was there.  I couldn't enjoy the experience because I didn't know those people and I wasn't part of his class.  There was no connection for me.  I was bored and I felt guilty for ruining it for him.  I remember we had some dumb fight on the way home over something I don't even remember and we didn't speak for a few days.  Much later, I realized that  we fought over nothing because neither of us could say what was really bothering us.  By the time his 20th rolled around, I gladly told him that he could go alone if he wanted to since it wasn't my reunion.  And he gladly accepted...lol    He deserved his fun and I'm certain he got home a lot later than 12:30am.  Which was fine.  It's not like he had a curfew.  And that's the way it went for his 30th.  It's the way it will go for his 40th reunion next year.  He doesn't give me any details of the reunions because....I don't know those people.  I say "how did it go" and he says "I had a blast" and that is the end of that until the next reunion.  The funny thing about us is that if  he were to go to my reunion, he would go and he'd have a blast.  He'd work that room and talk to people that I didn't talk to during my whole 4 years of h.s....lol   He'd have a better time at my h.s. reunion than I would have.  You talked about "reinventing" yourself and that leads to me that you were expecting something big from his reunion.  So, you put more importance on it than any reunion deserves.  You wanted him to show you off but that isn't the purpose of h.s. reunion.  Also, it's likely that very few spouse actually go to his reunions.  Instead feeling bad, why don't you just talk to the man and tell him why your nose is out of joint now?     

Honored Contributor

yes, i think you are overreacting. you should have cherished some time alone. he probably wanted to hang out with his old buddies and reminisce.

similar thread recently where a woman was upset that her husband wanted to go on vacation with some buddies......alone......because she could not go.

i personally think that EVERYONE should learn to spend some time alone and enjoy their own company. peace and quiet and introspection are wonderful sometimes. it doesnt diminish the love you have for each other. it actually can enhance it.

i really dont consider 12:30am late when going out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Maybe he’s afraid he’d embarrass you. 

He might have had some difficulties in high school and is afraid it might come to light and he’d feel too vulnerable. 

12:30 isn’t all that late considering he doesn’t see these people very often. 

I doubt this is about you.