Respected Contributor

Re: Hurt and Disappointed - Computer Help

@bonnielu   You may want to go into a Best Buy store and see if they offer any classes.  I stopped by there about a month ago with a question on my android phone.  The guy helped me right then and there, and also told me they offer classes on computers, android phones and tablets.

Check out the classes or call Best Buy to get a schedule.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, I would never have thought to email/call a computer sales company with questions. Most answers can be found on google.  Or there are easy books that walk you through them. 

Just a thought....would you call a furniture store if you had trouble turning a mattress?  a toy store if you didn't have batteries?  To me, it's the same thing with computers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

My husband is in the computer field. And honestly, he hates letting anyone know it because he gets asked questions and favors and "can you do this for me?" non-stop. Everybody seems to think that it's "no problem" for him to come over and spend two hours setting up a new system, putting on software or fixing their computer.   I don't get it.  We don't ask doctors medical questions or lawyers legal questions, we don't ask plumbers to come over and fix a pipe on their off time. I have a neighbor that manages a grocery store, I don't ask him to bring me home some eggs.  But for some strange reason, people have no qualms about hitting up computer professionals.  

This actually does happen to doctors and lawyers.  I have both in my family, and it happens all the time.  Boundaries have to be set, and not everyone understands that.

I agree with your point, though.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Yardlie"I would really lay a thick, sweet guilt trip on him."

Today's generation Y a/k/a Millennials respond to guilt trips by saying "WHATEVER!" & then go their merry way. Smiley Tongue

Okay, not what I would do, but I just got the "whatever" response a few minutes ago, so it made me laugh-

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe some of these responses. I agree with @occasionalrain ~ he may have just thrown it in as fast as he could, and now doesn't want to deal with the mess he made.

An older lady here who is raising her two grandchildren was scammed when she bought a used dryer ~ one of the men around here who works on such things volunteered to come by and see what he could do to help ~ no charge ~ because that's the kind of person he is.....another person offered to buy her another dryer if that one cannot be repaired............

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I can't believe some of these responses. I agree with @occasionalrain ~ he may have just thrown it in as fast as he could, and now doesn't want to deal with the mess he made.

An older lady here who is raising her two grandchildren was scammed when she bought a used dryer ~ one of the men around here who works on such things volunteered to come by and see what he could do to help ~ no charge ~ because that's the kind of person he is.....another person offered to buy her another dryer if that one cannot be repaired............

There's no reason to believe he made a mess.  I've read this entire thread, and I think that's a really huge leap.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

There's no reason to believe he made a mess.  I've read this entire thread, and I think that's a really huge leap.

Agreed. I seem to recall there being a problem with log-in. That wouldn't appear to be related to installation of the computer itself... I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't sound like it.

That said, the OP has already said she's letting this go and working with a different IT resource.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a leap at all. The OP is computer literate, she tried the help she got from google. She called this man after trying either solutions. The problem is logging in and this man in setting up the computers would have set the log in. Obviously, he made an error and finding it will not be easy and will take time. He knows that which is why he behaved as he did.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan  I said he "may" have. Either that or he just has lousy/non-existant customer service.

That's no greater leap than posters saying the OP wants him to be at her beck and call the rest of her life.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I don't think it's a leap at all. The OP is computer literate, she tried the help she got from google. She called this man after trying either solutions. The problem is logging in and this man in setting up the computers would have set the log in. Obviously, he made an error and finding it will not be easy and will take time. He knows that which is why he behaved as he did.

I disagree.  I don't think it's obvious at all that he made an error.