Trusted Contributor

Re: Hummingbird feeders?

[ Edited ]

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@this is my nic : That happened to us. Couldn’t figure it out. Turned out even though I thought I was really cleaning the feeder when freshening the nectar it was actually getting mold in tight areas. I even used the tiny brush for the ports and the big brush for the bottle.

I now have feeders with no recessed spots and are very easy to keep clean. My feeders have wide mouths that are easy to get into and the area with the ports separates into 2 parts making it super simple and fast to clean. Big difference. 

Even if both if yours are the same, the one might be getting that mold.

@Sadiesadie  would you mind sharing the make and name of the feeders you can clean so easily? Thank you.
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@this is my nic  does one hang in the hot sun while the other is in shade?  Maybe the liquid is getting too warm for them to drink?

Yes, this is what I was going to say. If they are in the sun, they seem to spoil, if thats possible. I have had feeders for 60 years, and they get used a lot. I put a drop of red food coloring ,only to see if they are empty. Also my feeders are both alike so they use both. Also I each year buy ant baffles, and it keeps the ants out of it.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   Hummzinger saucer-type feeders are easy to clean; they have no hard-to-reach spots where mold can grow.

hummzinger.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr - I have three of those feeders. Easy to clean.

Honored Contributor

When I hang more than one feeder, they are attracted to both and battle for both.  And I change their sugar water twice a week and bring it in every night & refrigerate.  Want it as fresh as possible for them but then, that's just me. 

I also use the saucer feeder and one similar to this:

/th?id=OP.vVcIVjm1yhwQ0A474C474&o=5&pid=21.1

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbird feeders?

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover wrote:

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@this is my nic : That happened to us. Couldn’t figure it out. Turned out even though I thought I was really cleaning the feeder when freshening the nectar it was actually getting mold in tight areas. I even used the tiny brush for the ports and the big brush for the bottle.

I now have feeders with no recessed spots and are very easy to keep clean. My feeders have wide mouths that are easy to get into and the area with the ports separates into 2 parts making it super simple and fast to clean. Big difference. 

Even if both if yours are the same, the one might be getting that mold.

@Sadiesadie  would you mind sharing the make and name of the feeders you can clean so easily? Thank you.

@PilatesLover   I've had lots of hummingbird feeders over the years.  Hummzingers are by far the easiest to clean.  I like them the best also because you can see the hummingbird from every side of the feeder.  Amazon and Wild Birds Unlimited are two places I know of that sell them.

153HZmini_Page.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Thank you for the Humzingers recommendations! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I'll put out one of those flat feeders.  I have several, just didn't put them out this year. That's about to change!

BTW, there was one in a shaded area, the other in the sun. I switched them around, but it didn't make a difference.  

Thanks everyone! 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you!

@riley1 wrote:

@ValuSkr - I have three of those feeders. Easy to clean.

Trusted Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

When I hang more than one feeder, they are attracted to both and battle for both.  And I change their sugar water twice a week and bring it in every night & refrigerate.  Want it as fresh as possible for them but then, that's just me. 

I also use the saucer feeder and one similar to this:

/th?id=OP.vVcIVjm1yhwQ0A474C474&o=5&pid=21.1

I never thought to bring them in at night to refrigerate - what a great idea.