Super Contributor

Huge Black Flying "Something"

This morning when I woke up, I was glancing around my room and caught a sight of a huge flying SOMETHING frantically flying around my room.  It was black and about 4-5" in size.   When I left for work, I set up my Wyze cam, but so far I've not seen it again.  Any ideas what it could be?

Respected Contributor

Re: Huge Black Flying "Something"

A bat?

Respected Contributor

Sounds like it could be a bat. We had one in the house a couple of times when I was a kid. It never appeared while it was daylight, just at night. We eventually chased it out of the house. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Did you sleep with the windows open?  Where are you located?  Could it have been a bird?

Esteemed Contributor

maybe a dragonfly...i had one in the house.....

Honored Contributor

The only experience I've had with something black of that size occurred when I lived in Miami.  Having never seen a palmetto bug in my life, I was stunned by the sight of one soon after moving there.

I called the maintenance man to remove it from my bedroom, and, thank heavens, I never had one in my apartment again.  

Do you live in Florida?

Respected Contributor

@seaswirl   ...That kind of weirds me out....Years ago, soon after we built this house, I was here by myself and saw exactly what you described fly from the front of the 'great room' to  inside the master bedroom.  I ran into the nearest room and closed the door, scared out of my wits !  Then I bravely eased to the door of the bedroom and closed it, knowing that what ever was in there must still be in there.  DH came home soon and I made him go look...nada...couldn't find anything.  I spent the rest of the night, stripping my curtains down, washing and vaccuming everything in sight. To this day, I haven't found out what it was - but I sure saw it !

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl 

My bet also is a bat.

That's why your camera hasn't filmed him today, they're nocturnal.

Do you have a fireplace perhaps that they can get in and out of at night?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

It's likely to be a bat or a very large species of moth.  Either of those would find a tight spot to sleep for the night.  I would look around for it and capture it for release while it's asleep since it's much easier.  

Honored Contributor

a bat?😬 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"