Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@LilacTree I think when a friend brings something up about your physical appearance when you were a child, it would knock you back a little. Evidently, she always admired, yet was envious of your beauty and that comment was how she admitted it. I would let it go, it's not like she was mean to you and said that when you were 14, those were the kind of girl friends I had in my youth.

@blackhole99 

My brother recently said that exact same thing to me during his recent visit.  She was so popular, it never occurred to me.  However he said it was always obvious. odd the things you learn so late in life.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree   I was waiting for a boy to pick me up for a date. 

When he came inside he said to my mother “Well, I see you’re just as fat as ever,”

My mother rapidly answered “ And you still have a big mouth”.

Then I told him “Goodbye!”

And I hugged my mother. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How would you feel?

[ Edited ]

I would ask her "What was the most importent thing in life?".  Your figure or your spirit????

That will answer your question as well as tell you her character!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Snickers 

Once at work when I was still in my sixties, a fresh-faced younger man came into my office and during our work conversation, blurted out “Hey, CB (my work nickname), looks like you’re getting a little turkey neck goin’ on.”

I looked at him, expressionless, and said “ . . . And what does your mother look like?”  He got red and left.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree    I was once told that I had a "stringy, bony neck"........by a co-worker who had trouble making it thru the doorway.    *I* couldn't reply, because it was against company policy.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

It hurt because it was meant to.

Just like you, I was thin as a rail growing up. Like a model.

Why oh why do "friends" put us down instead of build us up.

Pure jealousy.

Respected Contributor

What a miserable person SHE must be. She sounds like a 7th-grade “mean girl.” Insecure and jealous.

Personally, I wd have laughed or said something like, “What a childish thing to say. You’ve never grown up, have you?” But that’s just me. I dropped only one friend in my life. I’d known her since grade school, but she was always jealous, and even by age 40, every time I talked to her, she found some excuse  to put me down over something. Always. Finally, I wondered why I was putting up with it. So I stopped. She was no friend.

Respected Contributor

Oh Lilac Tree does it really matter if you did not have a great figure, you had and have a beautiful face and had and have what it takes to attract people to you. Hey, you did some modeling so others thought you had a good figure  and there were not many who could do that. Anyhow, how many people did you know who had a great figure and did you really think a lot about that back then, I think not.

The statement hurt you because you never thought of it before and now you are wondering about something so long ago that maybe you were doubting who you were back then.

I do not think your friend said it to hurt you. It was said as something in remembrance of days long gone, days shared together

You developed your spirit back then, and spirit is a great gift. Your friendship with this friend has endured because of spirit shared and that is what counts.

Today's figures are not like yesterday's. Even if it uses something to boost it, it still sags.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree 

14 is a very vulnerable age.  

I think painful things that happened @ that time stay with with us; mention of them can take us back to that vulnerable time.

*edited for punctuation 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Your friend feels she knows you long enough and well enough to say something that was true. After 65 years it should be no big deal. She said you were pretty.