Esteemed Contributor

Because...we may be old, but we are still vain!

Don't know why she would say something like that unless she is jealous because you are beautiful!   Can't imagine how you must have looked as a younger Lilac.  Yeah, she would be jealous!  But why the comment?  SHE IS VAIN too and she knows you were always prettier than she!  

Enjoy her comment and sleep well tonight!

Honored Contributor

If someone said that to me, I would probably agree with them and just know she knew me, and I would thank her for thinking I was pretty, cause being a teenager, I didn't think so. Probably a flaw of all teenagers no matter how they look!

I know I had a swimmers, gymnastic no waist body -straight up and down,  and always wished I could have one like Marilyn Monroe, but we all are our own individual selves. But I also liked myself as a person.I don't think I would be offended.

Even when "toned" arms became fashionable and people wished they had them I still would have rather had a Marilyn Monroe figure.

But you may have been self conscious about it then and it was hurtful to you.

Its not all about how we look.

And some of our identites are always based around how we look. 

It doesn't have to be that way. We can appreciate what kind of people we are. That is what is more important.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I'd laugh & zing her back.

@kitcat51 

Next time I will.  We laugh a lot at things we did in our youth, I don’t know why it sounded so different this time.

Thanks to everyone!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I was very thin until I was in my early 30s.  I was 5'6" tall and weighed 108 pounds when I got married at age 21.  That's really thin.

If it were me ... wouldn't bother me a bit.  Someone simply stating the truth?  No big deal.

Honored Contributor

I have another post that I will post here in this forum, since we are discussing something similar. It’s about an interview I saw last night on CNN, conducted by Anderson Cooper.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I was 5'7" and weighed 107# when I graduated from high school. So what? How does it matter? I really don't understand why she said what she did but it was rude. 

Occasional Contributor

This commment brought back a memory from 50 years ago that i haven't thought about till now:  I had dated a guy about three times when he mentioned going swimming.  I was young, weighed about 110 lbs. and five feet two inches tall.  I put on my bathing suit and walked down to the edge of the water where he was.  He looked me up and down and then told me that I was prettier than his last girlfriend but that she had better legs.  I didn't say anything but I was crushed.  Basically, the date was over and I never went out with him again although he was dumb enough to ask  

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree I think when a friend brings something up about your physical appearance when you were a child, it would knock you back a little. Evidently, she always admired, yet was envious of your beauty and that comment was how she admitted it. I would let it go, it's not like she was mean to you and said that when you were 14, those were the kind of girl friends I had in my youth.

Esteemed Contributor

When i was in my 20's and dating this guy for a while....he was a shy kinda guy and i know he didn't mean it maliciously but he said something similar to me .....i ignored it at the time because i knew he didn't mean to hurt my feelings...we went out for a while longer then broke up.....

but  i was never able to get that comment out of my mind.....things like that can still hurt even if not meant to 

Honored Contributor

Where I am in life, even in my 60's, things like that are so far down on my list of important I don't even have an answer for that.