Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.i change out my kitchen things daily and also have a lot of washcloths each day and those items are really wet so they are a bigger problem than the towels at our house.I just hate the that wet smell coming from the laundry roomon a daily basis.I don't have a basement and I don't know if I want a regular supply of wet in the garage as that might attract carpenter ants.

Honored Contributor

I hang all wet towels, washcloths, etc., over the door of my front loading washer to dry, then drop in the hamper.   I wash towels 2-3x a week.   

Honored Contributor

Whatnow wrote:

i have a problem during the winter figuring out what to do with wet washcloths,towels and dishcloths till I have enough for a load.Anyone have any ideas about how to store this stuff for a couple of days?

@dex

We have a huge utility sink right next to our, now brand new washer. You would think that with only 2 of us humans in our home, it could take some time to build up "a load" to wash.

With our 7 felines and 4 litter boxes? Unfortunately litter comes out of their paws in many places. Like in/on a bed/piece of clothing or towel left on a chair/furniture, and so on.

With our new computerized type of washer, I always see enough that constitutes a "load" sizable to wash. Towels after a shower with wash cloths/dishtowels/microfiber cloths/cloth cover I use to clean and shine our laminate floors.

Guess I am saying, I don't concern myself with storing any wet items, I find enough items to constitute "a load", even a small one. No wet stuff to worry about. Of course having no human kids and only 2 of us humans, both retired, makes it easier for me than a mother or dad that has kids to add to their burdens.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have a clothes line in the garage

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My laundry hamper is right next to the bathtub. I hang wet things on the edge of the tub overnight then when dry, I drop them in the hamper!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I put the first one over the top of the agitator so it dries.  For the second, I leave the top of the washer open and hang that one over the door.  Any more go seperated in the washer tub.  When I wash white towels, I also add clorox and a cup of white vinegar to take out any sour odor.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut I guess I am too frugal because I don't want to wear out my machine doing partial loads and also the cost of water and power.My mom trained me to be that person andthough it has been more than 40 years since I lived at home I am still following her training.

Respected Contributor

In my bathtub / shower ( old fashion set up ), I keep a second shower curtain rod and roll it forward over the top of the tiles to hang damp or wet things to air dry.

In the winter when I come back from water exercising, it keeps the bathroom neat....the shower curtain gets pulled shut.  In the AM, I simply roll the extra rod back against the wall.

In my laundry room, I also have a rod above the sink by the washer...can drip dry clothes easily.

DH hung two PVC mid sized rods under the overhanging shelf on his side of the garage.  Rather than going down to the basement, I can hang stuff over the rods to air dry or use plastic hangars for shirts.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I have a clothes line in the garage

My garage is attached to the house and my laundry room is right next to the garage.  I have a portable clothes line where I will drape the wet items until I have a full load.  In the meantime, they dry (and won't mildew or mold)..... Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@hckynut I guess I am too frugal because I don't want to wear out my machine doing partial loads and also the cost of water and power.My mom trained me to be that person andthough it has been more than 40 years since I lived at home I am still following her training.

@dex

I think I mentioned, probably a different thread, that my mom also raised me the same way as your mother. Frugality(to some I am a cheapskate).  

Guess I don't worry about our washing machines wearing out. I have owned only 3 of them, 1 of which my mom bought years before she died in 1969. So in about 50 years, 2 have lasted until we bought our new one about a month ago.

You got a point with the Electricity part. However, with our new machine, it weighs the load/the less clothes the less water and the smaller the load the less washing time. This machine tells us how much time it takes for each load. It also has a super high speed rinse/drying cycle, which cuts done the time for our electric dryer.

So I am thinking that less drying times saved on electricity, just might help balance out the wash time. Love the new washer as it gives you so many choices on everything. I also like that it has no agitator, thus a much larger capacity for loads. Then it tells you how long it takes the load by weighing it/evening out the weight in the washer, and so many options it is great.

hckynut(john)