Honored Contributor

Re: How to quickly get guest ready?

[ Edited ]

1 hour the day or even on short notice:  freshen up bathroom & guest bedroom. (Clean sheets put on bed as I don't put them on bed until I need to - just put quilt on).  My house is always ready for guests. 

My friends are coming for a surprise weekend and my new mantra is "the house is always in order plus they're coming to see us not my house".

I don't buy extra food anymore I stop at store once we get home they can pick out their likes -- I pay. (used to guess what guests would like cost more to waste it😉).

Honored Contributor

Thankfully this is not an issue I've ever had to deal with, as our family and friends are local.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

@hckynutjohn Really? How to get guest ready?

Or "REALLY". You're loving husband of 42 years sprang this on you last night & then got up & left for work like he is going to come home tonight with me waiting wrapped only in Saran Wrap to greet him!?

@Dusty1 I think you totally misunderstood @hckynutjohn. He tagged @nana59, not you.

Valued Contributor

@Dusty1  Call me crazy, but I have guests drop in on short notice. I've always, and still do, have an open-door attitude. My Mom taught me some things that I enjoy doing for the occasional houseguest, besides the obvious cleaning up chores. For example, I grab a basket (I have several), line it with a hand towel and put a new bar of soap (who wants to use someone else's soap), a clean rolled up wash cloth tied with twine, an individually wrapped toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, hand sanitizer, and unscented hand/body lotion...I keep these travel sized items in a small container. I also run out to get the latest People Magazine and Reader's Digest for late night reading to put in the basket as well. I leave the basket on top of the bed. I also make sure the guest room and guest bath night-lights are working. 

Respected Contributor

@HonestLife That is really sweet! I love your ideas, although I do not want to make a habit of guests. 

I only want my 5 grandsons to come stay with me!

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud You are right! Didn't even notice. 

Honored Contributor

I'm usually the one that suggests people spend the night, especially my husband's friends if they have the earliest tee time or want to catch the tide to go fishing.

I have a set of white sheets and white bath towels that are specifically for overnighters.  That way I can use bleach, which I normally don't use.  (I'm now using the Lysol additive for laundry , but not for our own clothes).

I make sure that there is only shower gel in the shower as I don't want anyone using bar soap.  I do that for family overnighters, too.  (I don't even share soap the same soap with my husband.)

I love to cook, and no one has ever turned their nose up to my offerings.  These are people I know all too well!

Honored Contributor

Unless it was an emergency or a very close family relative, I'd want to know why my DH invited anyone on such short notice, without asking me first.

I'd hand him the vacuum, tell him to tidy things up and I'd put fresh bedding on the spare bed and clean the guest bathroom.  That would be it.  I wouldn't be going out of my way to do anything else.

Valued Contributor

@HonestLife 

@HonestLife wrote:

@Dusty1  Call me crazy, but I have guests drop in on short notice. I've always, and still do, have an open-door attitude. My Mom taught me some things that I enjoy doing for the occasional houseguest, besides the obvious cleaning up chores. For example, I grab a basket (I have several), line it with a hand towel and put a new bar of soap (who wants to use someone else's soap), a clean rolled up wash cloth tied with twine, an individually wrapped toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, hand sanitizer, and unscented hand/body lotion...I keep these travel sized items in a small container. I also run out to get the latest People Magazine and Reader's Digest for late night reading to put in the basket as well. I leave the basket on top of the bed. I also make sure the guest room and guest bath night-lights are working. 

May I please make a reservation?

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1  Battle scarred "guesthouse" matron here. Our youngest son was a member of a travelling band for 15+ years. He traveled the world performing with his hardcore band. They sometimes stayed with other band members families when cheap hotels weren't available. Therefore, when those bands came to the US, they often needed a place to stay. I would get a call from our son stating we had a day to prepare to house 4, 5 or 6 band members for ? days. They were usually from England, France or Germany, and sometimes from Eastern Europe. They expected breakfast and lunch for sure, and maybe a late night snack after the show. The best I could do was make sure the guest bathroom and downstairs powder room was clean and well stocked and make every extra bed upstairs. I threw coverlets on the sofas in the family room and living room and cleared out the laundry room for all who wanted to do laundry. I set up the dining room like a B&B to make it easy for them to grab food as they woke up. Our visits with these young men were so much fun! Sometimes there was a language barrier, but the food always transcended that issue. I learned to ask if there were vegan or vegetarian band members as soon as they arrived, so I could make accommodation.