Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you call (not text) your family?

[ Edited ]

I text my younger sister and my two girls a couple of times a day.  We all text when it's a short informational type of conversation that doesn't require an immediate answer.  I texted my sister early this a.m to ask  "do you want to meet for lunch Saturday?"  If I don't receive a text from her at least once a day, I call her because she's disabled and has other health issues.  My girls and I exchange tests at least once a day but ususally more often.  Silly stuff sometimes like  "he wants chicken for dinner again,  I want burgers".  They also send me videos or pics of the grands a couple of times a week.  Daughter #2 lives further away, I don't see her as often so we have fallen into the habit of talking on the phone very early on Saturday morning.  It's a long catchup conversation.  Daughter #1 lives  20 minutes away, I spend more time with her so we don't talk much on the phone.  When she calls, I know it's because she has a problem or needs to vent.  I don't text my middle sister because she's a dinosaur, she has a cell phone she just pays no attention to it.  It probably isn't charged most of the time.  I call her only when it's absolutely necessary.  Like to invite her to Christmas dinner of to say happy birthday.  She never calls me.  

Esteemed Contributor

I hate talking on the phone.  I lived on the phone when I worked.  DD lives here but she is gone from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm between commute and work.  We may talk once at lunch to determine if she needs to stop at Wegmans etc. on her way home.

Son travels job to job  during the day for his job so unless it's an emergency I don't bother him.  We talk once or twice a week.

My sister and I talk a couple times a week.  Well, she talks I listen.  lol  Her DH would rather watch TV than have a conversation soooo she gets on a roll when we talk.

It's funny when I was younger I was very social and on the go constantly.  When I retired I was happy it just being DH and myself 90% of the time.  Now that it is just me here during the day I just don't want to be bothered.

Honored Contributor

I worked a switchboard for 16 years, and HATE talking on the phone.   The only person I ever call to have a phone conversation with, is my mother.   

All of our immediate family live within 10 miles of us; we see them often.  The only person who lives alone and needs to be checked on is mom.   

Valued Contributor

I haven't spoken to my mom for 31 years.  Some of my siblings for over 20 years.  The rest call when they need something, mostly money.  I won't give them money. 

Valued Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 what works for one family will not work for others. She loves that about me. For example, right now she is going through something and she lives like 16 hours away. She knows I will leave my job right now and drive there if she needs me.

So true, @sue311. A daughter threatened me once with calling the police, too!  I got right back to her. I was pretty sure she wouldn’t, but you never know.  We got a good laugh out of it. 

Respected Contributor

If someone was so intrusive that they seriously threatened to call the police...I'd call them back, tell them off, dare them to do it and let the police tell them that they are controlling, intrusive and to not care about my well being. The End.

Honored Contributor

I'm in regular(almost daily) contact with my brother and his wife.  Occasional contact with nieces and nephews .... but we all keep up witth each other's lives via Facebook.

Honored Contributor

I call my sister every couple of weeks.  My brother less so.  My sistters doesn't like to speak on the phone and texts me.  I text back, but I hate it...so I'd rather talk back.  Same with my nieces and nephews.  All they know is texting.  I initate by calling them. 

Respected Contributor

@Ruby Laine:  I still like a real “hello” phone call and everyone that knows me know this. My family and I do both and yes, I still use “snail mail”.

There is just so much I can know and feel in the sound of your voice and love my collection of handwritten cards and letters. 

Honored Contributor

The only living family I have now are two older sisters.

The oldest(73) I have not spoken to or seen since  1975.  I have bad childhood memories to this day concerning her.

The other sister(age 68)  I do not talk or see either either. Have not seen  or spoke her in over 25 years. 

They both live just an hour away.

I have no desire to see or speak to either sister.  In fact they really are just strangers to me and I do not feel any connection or love.