Honored Contributor

Re: How many of you have a 'best friend'?

[ Edited ]

I have two.  We consder ourselves the 3 Musketeers.  I have several other close friends, but these two are the ones who will be there for me when I need them, no matter what - middle of the night calls from the ER, talk therapy.. you name it, we are there for one another.  Just last night at dinner we were laughing because each of us has a laminated card in our wallet (we're teachers, we laminate) and each of us has the others listed at the top to contact in an emergency. 

DH is looking forward to moving out of state when I retire in four years and the thought of leaving my friends is already breaking my heart.  It took a while to nurture these friendships when we moved cross country 20 years ago. The thought of doing that again at my age is beyond daunting.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

At this stage of my life, I don’t have a “best friend” like I did in high school.  My sisters are who I am super close to, talk to often, and spend time with.

However I do have a circle of friends I’ve known since childhood.....as many as possible of us meet monthly for dinner.  At the end of each dinner we all check our calendars and set the next month’s dinner.  We are all respectful of each other’s lives and time...but if I needed to talk or needed something, I could call any of them individually  ....they would be there, as I would for them.  

I feel blessed, as my children and grands are several hours away.  Friendship is a wonderful thing.

Respected Contributor

My mom was my BF until she passed away 10 years ago. I miss her everyday. But I do have a friend of 24 years who I feel is my BF now. She is always there for me with good advice, I try not to take advantage but we do talk several times a week.

Super Contributor

I have a best friend Carole back up in Canada. We met in elementary school. I visit her every time we are up there and we write each other REAL letters. 

Respected Contributor

I am lucky enough to have 2.  We all met when we were 4 years old.  We have been best friends ever since....for almost 55 years.!  We are always there for each other.  A few years ago I had to have surgery.  One of my friends was living in Canada at the time.  She insisted on flying in and being at the hospital while I was in surgery.....even though I was not alone, I have family in the area.  The three of us truly are sisters.

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Just curious how many have a 'Lucy/Ethel' type of best friend, who's always there for you. I, myself, have not been lucky to find that special girlfriend. I had one that I met in high school, and we were inseperable for years. She changed when she got married, she started being 30-45 minutes late for every shopping or lunch date. One time I sat at the food court at the mall for 45 minutes waiting for her, when she got there, she told me that when she was taking a shower, she realized the shower walls needed cleaning, so she cleaned them. I was dumbstruck. But the straw that broke the camel's back, was when she told her husband something I told her in confidence, and asked her to keep it to herself. She had no problem telling me that she told him. He also told her that he was in the hallway listening to our conversation in the living room. We haven't talked for over 10 years, and I really don't miss her. My DH is my best friend, and I really prefer to shop alone, anyway. What about you??

I have a close friend for nearly 30 years.  I wouldn't say we're best friends though.  I also have another friend from a previous job that we've kept in touch for 20 plus years now.  I'd have to say my best friend is my husband.  I've known him since I was 16 years old.  When we first met, we couldn't stand each other.  Somehow we became friends and then the best of friends and years  later (and I mean years later), we married.  I lost contact with high school friends and childhood friends from the neighborhood.  I think sometimes that just happens.

Trusted Contributor

I do have a best friend.  We met in high school and have been besties ever since.  she recntly drove 4 hours on a SUnday morning to be with me for friends and Family Day at church.  I also have what I call "a sister from another mister."  I met her at church and I declare it seems like we have known each other forever and a day.  All these relationships are special to me.

Honored Contributor

Even Lucy and Ethel turned on each other at times.  Within the human condition, I guess their relationship is the best we can hope for.  

But, if we want a true friend that will stick with us through thick and thin...get a dog.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a single BFF but rather have several good friends.  Most of them were my good friends in high school and we've stayed in contact through the years.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

My husband is my best friend of 27 years (married for 25 years) but I also have two other friends who'd I also consider my BFFs.  One of them is local and I've know for 12 years and we've raised our kids together and the other is my former college roommate who I've known for 28 years who does not live near me but we talk a few times a week and get together 4-5 times a year.  I am one who may know a lot of what i'd call acquaintances but have a small circle of friends.  I have three friends I still get together with who I've know since we've been 4 years old which I find very special to still have that connection.