Honored Contributor

Re: How many of you have a 'best friend'?

I wish I had a close friend but with my husband job when we first got married we were moving near every 2 years so we made friends fast, then it was either we were moving or friends were moving. After he retired from that job when we did settle down we settled in an area that is very cliquey and if you don’t belong to their “money” amount group you are on the outside looking in. We also live on the wrong side of the tracks as the saying goes which doesn’t help either. Most of the people in my development are young they move in and out faster than you can say their name. There are very few people of my age here which is gray hair/lots of ache and pains age group.

I have learned to have some friends I say HI to but no one close i can talk to and pal around with. Most of the time I am by myself, my husband still works full time and some weeks he is gone near the whole day every day of the week.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree,

I totally agree with you.   I too have special relationships with my mother and my husband, but they are not my best friends.    

Valued Contributor

Definitely my sister!  Have had girlfriends that just came and went.  Some seemed loyal and then became not so loyal.  Some used you if they had nothing else to do.  I can honestly say I've never experienced that best friend you see portrayed in the movies.  You know the one that's there through thick and thin and you can tell your deepest secrets and they won't betray your trust.  The one you can call no matter what time of day and are ALWAYS there for you. I guess it does exist and if you have that you are blessed.  My sister is and always will be my bestie.  

Valued Contributor

If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have mentioned a friend  from college.  Recenly, I reconnected with a couple of friends from high school and I have grown to appreciate the true friendship that exists.  Great tread

Frequent Contributor

My "BFFs" are my 2 older sisters although we all live in 3 different states on the east coast. Wish we could spend much more time together the older we get as we are all seniors and it has become so important for me now for us to spend as much time together as we can. 

I also have a best friend I left behind when husband and I moved to FL. We worked together (she trained me) and we have become like sisters over the years. We used to do fun things together all the time. We visit when we travel to each other's area when possible. I don't really have a BFF here in FL now; but, I have some nice girlfriends whom I've become really good friends with and we have a lot of common interests. 

I highly value all these relationships. Thank goodness for my hubby too in our retirement years. 

Respected Contributor

@Hooty 

I find this comment very sad.   And I disagree 100%.

Your comment says to me that you've never had a true best female friend.

Female friends are not a dime a dozen.   I've known two friends for almost 50 years.  I can tell them anything and everything.   If I needed help, both would come running in an instant.   We haven't lived in the same place for almost 25 years but we are closer than ever.  I think of them as sisters. 

This doesn't diminsh my feelings or relationship with my DH at all.  There are just some things that are 'friends/sister' things.  I wouldn't trade my 2 best friends for anything.

Respected Contributor

Besides my DH, I have a BFF that I have known for over 30 years.  We met through a mutual friend that neither of us have spoken to in at least 25 years. We were in each other's bridal parties. Our oldest children were born 23 hours apart in the same hospital.  Our youngests were born within 4 months of each other.  We celebrate birthdays and anniversaries together every year and take trips together.  She's like the sister I never had.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Hooty 

I find this comment very sad.   And I disagree 100%.

Your comment says to me that you've never had a true best female friend.

Female friends are not a dime a dozen.   I've known two friends for almost 50 years.  I can tell them anything and everything.   If I needed help, both would come running in an instant.   We haven't lived in the same place for almost 25 years but we are closer than ever.  I think of them as sisters. 

This doesn't diminsh my feelings or relationship with my DH at all.  There are just some things that are 'friends/sister' things.  I wouldn't trade my 2 best friends for anything.

@Bridgegal, Oh yes I have had many so called BFF's in my lifetime of 70 yrs., but for whatever reasons we have drifted apart, so that tells me they were not "true" friends, maybe you and your husband are not close!

Super Contributor

Never had just one!  Always a couple and still do.  I have lost several due to death, I am 68.  Over my many happy years I have met people in work, activities I participated in and neighbors.  Many have moved away due to warmer climate, we still talk, text or visit.  One of my dearest moved several states away, had two not so great marriages with men who did their best to keep her from her friends, unfortunately this girl and I went 15 years without seeing due to our parents illnesses and death and some serious health and behavior problems with our children.  When we got together it was just the same as when we were younger.  We both want to see each other more but find it difficult with weather and traffic at our age.  We do write and talk.  I love cell phones and text messages because we all keep in touch with our grandkids and kids, so I find texting keeps me in a more current loop than the once a year visit with some friends!

Esteemed Contributor

I had three best friends.  One passed away after 15 years.  Another one passed after 46 years and the third passed after 50 years.  All three died due to breast cancer.  I miss them more than I can say and currently I have no best friend.  Just writing this is causing me to cry so I better close before I can't see what I am typing.  Woman Sad

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam