Respected Contributor

Re: How many of you have a 'best friend'?

My husband is my best buddy. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity 

Smiley Happy Same here!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have had best friends through the years.  They come and go as life changes...death, divorce, moving, marriage etc.  When a big change happens we try to stay close but it never works out.  Usually there is a reason we become friends...work, children's activities, we are both single, etc. and when that reason changes the friendship changes. 

Honored Contributor

@frankenfinch 

YouTube: Nice selection of "A Summer Place." Including "Percy Faith" conducting his orchestra. Born in 1958 Mother played this often. Lovely, Timeless classic. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have a Best Friend. We were neighbors, met in 6th grade. Have been BF since. Even though we live a few hours apart now, we pick up as if living next to each other.  We vacation and take trips together (husbands too), go out to dinner, etc. She is the best.

Super Contributor

My best friend is my husband and my brother.  I can tell them both anything and they don't judge me. They always say the right thing.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand the concept of a husband being someone's best friend, or one's mother either.  To me, that diminishes the relationship of a spouse or mother.  Those are in a class that far exceeds a friendship.  For me anway.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@bonnielu, My husband is my best friend, too!   Female "so called best friends" are a dime a dozen!

Oh, I really disagree with that.  Close friends can be a wonderful thing!  I have friends who have been with me through everything  -  heartbreak, tragedy, and lots of good times too.  I don't know where I would be without them.  Studies have shown that having friends is beneficial in many ways, physically, emotionally, and otherwise.

I think everyone in a good marriage probably considers their husband to be their best friend.  But close relationships with friends and having a close, trusted confidante is really important too. Many friends are more loyal than husbands.  And close friends serve a different purpose than spouses.  Maybe your definition of "friend" is different than mine, but I would never consider friends a dime a dozen.  Not by a long shot.

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

Good friends are jewels!

Yes!  I so agree!

Honored Contributor

I have 2 really close friends, but I hardly ever see them, we do talk often though and keep tabs on each other.

The one close friend, I have known since Jr. High School, and we also worked together for many years, she has since moved to Grand Cayman Islands since her husband is from there, so I usually see them twice a year....

My other close friend, I have known for over 20 years, and we also used to work together, she is retired now, and has suffered some extensive medical issues, so I rarely get to see her, but we also keep in touch via phone, and we always seem to pick up where we left off...

I am close to several ladies at my church as well.....

It seems that when you are young you have tons of friends, but as you get older, people go in and out of your life, and you tend you to have fewer friends, but the ones you do have are good, close friends. At least that is how it seems for me......