Respected Contributor

Re: How many of you have a 'best friend'?

@kelsey17 wrote:

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

I've had a couple of best friends in the past, but we've list contact over the years.  I have a couple of good friends at work, but we hardly ever see each other.  Other than those two, every one else I just consider an acquaintance. I would say my mother is my best friend.

You sound just like me......2 best friends from my younger years and then my young adult years............but in adulthood my mother was my best friend...she passed 

6 years ago.....enjoy your Mom.....you are lucky!!

Sorry that you've lost your mom.  I do feel very lucky to have mine.  We're best friends and travel buddies.

Respected Contributor

I have had at least one best friend all during my lifetime.  Not the same one/ones  at the same time however.  During my school years had many friends, but the best friend category would change depending on what was going on at the time.

Once away at college high school best friends drifted apart and new friendships began from my current circle of people.

Once in the working world, again met a new pool of people and began a best friendship from work.  We ended up being each other's maid of honor, etc.

Married and moved away from home state and slowly lost contact with old friends.  Met new people and began new best friendships.  In this period of life had two women who became my best friends and the three of us were very close and could totally depend on each other.  Plus other close, but not best friends.

Again life changes, moving away, me to another state and one to far away CA and that best friendship also died.  But, met more people and my current best friends (2) I have had for 30 years.

Still have some contact/friendship with several previous best friends no longer living nearby, but due to distance are no longer in each other's daily lives.  I miss the closeness I had with them

Of course, there is DH who is always there, but to my way of thinking DH's are more than friends and  "best friends" are women who relate to each other.  My mother was always the best friend I could have and I miss her. 

I do find it sad that when you move around some, your life and your old friend's life, no longer intersect.  It would have been great to have a friend who was a friend since your early years, but for me old friendships faded as life/location changed.  But, the good feelings are still there and we could start right back up if we were again in each other's lives.

Honored Contributor

One.  A long time ago.  Married him!  

Lots of friends, no best friend.  I go out a lot with people, and have an active social life.  But no best girlfriend or someone I run around with.  It's ok because I like to shop alone or with my husband. 

Respected Contributor

I have been lucky enough to have two best friends in my life. They both died of cancer. I miss them both so much. They were so different from each other. I guess I loved both for different reasons. Mine mind is full of memories. My bf now is my husband.

Contributor

I have. Kathy and I have been friends since kindergarten.  Some of our children are friends.  She has four children, 10 grands, I have 2 and 4 grands. We have never had an argument. We have been close and not so close over the span of many years.  We are 72 now and each day is a gift. I am married 51 years tomorrow, she is divorced. She has many friends, family, I have few.  Our lives are different but she’s the best. I love hubby even more cuz he likes her too.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

So do you want to know about our fun with and reliance on best friends or have us give accounts of similar best friends lost to insult, betrayal and regret? Or do we just concede, like you, that DH is actually the best friend?

That’s all I got from your post. 

It's simple read the title of the post do you have a best friend. 

Esteemed Contributor

I do have a best friend, but she lives in Europe, so I rarely see her. She used to live near me, and I wish she still did!   Even though we look nothing alike (and she has a very specific accent), we have often been mistaken for sisters.  And our bond feels as close as sisters.

I'm always envious of people who go shopping with their BF's, or meet them for lunch, or make last-minute plans, etc.  We stay in very close touch, but it's not at all the same as actually being together.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, we lived together before I married, and our friendship continues to this day. I will admit it (relationship) has changed a bit over the years.  She would keep a confidence if I asked her to, but honesly I don't have a lot of things to keep 'secret' these days.  

I think it's important (for me) to have a close friend to chat, shop, lunch with.

I also have/had a very good friend/neighbor...30+ years.

We laughed a lot and just always had a fun time together, sadly she moved.  We still keep in touch, but obviously the relationship changed with the move.

Honored Contributor

I guess my hubby is also my best friend now...32 years...since I retired. The friends I worked with and was close to seemed to just drift away when I retired. I miss them all but they seemed to have forgotten all about me now.
Honored Contributor

I've lived in my present loctation for a year now and I don't have any female friends to hang out with.  I would love to have a best friend in this area.

I don't consider DH to be a best friend as he does not enjoy doing girl type things such as shoppping or going to see Rick Springfield (when he was here in my area).  I've seen women take their husbands with them shopping and the husband just stands there looking bored and out of place.