Super Contributor

How many of you have a 'best friend'?

Just curious how many have a 'Lucy/Ethel' type of best friend, who's always there for you. I, myself, have not been lucky to find that special girlfriend. I had one that I met in high school, and we were inseperable for years. She changed when she got married, she started being 30-45 minutes late for every shopping or lunch date. One time I sat at the food court at the mall for 45 minutes waiting for her, when she got there, she told me that when she was taking a shower, she realized the shower walls needed cleaning, so she cleaned them. I was dumbstruck. But the straw that broke the camel's back, was when she told her husband something I told her in confidence, and asked her to keep it to herself. She had no problem telling me that she told him. He also told her that he was in the hallway listening to our conversation in the living room. We haven't talked for over 10 years, and I really don't miss her. My DH is my best friend, and I really prefer to shop alone, anyway. What about you??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How many of you have a 'best friend'?

My sister is my best friend, I sometimes shop with her.

Talk to her several times a week.

I lost touch with my girlfriends from high school,

No one from school resides in my town anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

HUBBY...  over 53 years. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24  As the OP,  do you want to know about our fun with and reliance on best friends or have us give accounts of similar best friends lost to insult, betrayal and regret? Or do we just concede, like you, that DH is actually the best friend?

That’s all I got from your post. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of my BFFS  died suddenly 11 years ago. We were like sisters since we were 8 years old.I miss her every day.

My best friend for the last 40 years has been my DH.He always has my back. I don't know where I'd be without his love & support.

Honored Contributor

Twin Sister Heart

Honored Contributor

I don’t have a best friend but I have many friends.I had a friend who wanted me to be her best friend and I found it stifling.She wanted to call daily and talk for hours and many nights she was in my driveway waiting for me to get home from work.I found after a time that I was holding my breath while driving that last block home hoping that she wouldn’t be there that night.

Honored Contributor

Our mothers were pregnant w/us 75 years ago. We have been...

Our mothers were pregnant w/us 75 years ago. We have been best friends all these years even w/moves,etc.

Honored Contributor

My SO of 35 years is mine.  My female best friend since the 70's when we both worked at the same place.  We did the live band night life thing until the med 80's and when we both met our SOs we were all good friends.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dog was mine, until she died two years ago. Smiley Sad I'm my own best friend now. Smiley Wink Smiley Happy