Honored Contributor

Re: How far back can you recall things?

I was a baby in my crib. I remember, after standing and crying in my crib for awhile my grandma came in and walked me in her arms. Then I skip a few years in the future and remember kindergarten and such. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Yesterday we were sitting on the back patio social distancing with our youngest son. All of a sudden a song came to my mind------"aint nothing but a churkengoose"

My son who is 33 thought I was nuts. He looked it up. Ray Bolger 1947. I was two.

One of my first memories was when my parents went to NY to find an apartment. I was two and a half. I stayed with my mother's best friend in CA. She  was busy one day so left me with an old lady who lived in a scary dark house. The lady was concerned that I was Jewish and that my father was a Rabbi so she took me to church and had me baptized. When my mothers friend asked me what I did with the old lady I told her that the woman took me to a big building and that a man put me in a sink and poured water over me.  My mother's friend was panicked. But it became a fun  tale to tell. My father said I had lots of extra protection.

Contributor

We had an air raid shelter at the bottom of the garden in London during the war.  I remember waking up and everyone had gone back in the house when the all clear signal went.  I must have been younger than five because the war started 1939 the month after I was born.  I remember running through the garden to the house, I try not to think about those times. Interesting just how far back we can remember though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have flashes of memories at about age 2 (could be younger.... )when we were living in San Diego CA. 

I know I was 2 ish as we moved to Seattle WA at one point later..... and there   I  turned 3. 

The memories at age 2  in San Diego were:

catching bumble bees in the grass with a jar... I remember getting stung. 

Playing in the kiddy pool in the back yard

Getting sand thrown in my face at a neighbors sandbox. AND IT HURT SO BAD.

Crying because my parents left for a short vacation and we were babysat by a relative at the house... I remember crying for days....

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DrakesMomma wrote:

I remember the day my brother came home from the hospital.  I was 18 months old. 

Funny,  I can remember also when my brother came home too. I was 19 months, so pretty much the same age! 

I remember my grandparents coming over (my mothers parents) coming over to take care of me.  Then them leaving when my parents came back from the hospital with my brother.  I remember asking my dad a few times why he had to stay and when he was leaving!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What an interesting thread! Enjoying reading all of the things we remember from such earlier ages. I can remember things from when I was 4 or 5. I remember my bedroom with the "I Lay Me Down To Sleep...." in needlepoint above my bed that my grandmother made for me. I remember my kindergarten class going to our small town dairy and seeing how butter was made....we all came back to our classroom and our teacher helped us make homemade butter. We each had a taste of it on a small saltine cracker - it was just the best thing I had tasted! I love the taste of it to this day!

And who else remembers getting their tonsils out? I was 5 and remember being in the hospital. My mother bought me a Ginny doll for the big event so she could get her tonsils out too! LOL! I still have my sweet little Ginny!

Occasional Contributor

2.5.  My mother was pregnant, she was putting my shoes on me while I was sitting on her 3 legged bedroom vanity stool.  She asked me if I wanted and baby brother or sister.  I said brother.  I got a sister!  

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Yes, I well remember having my tonsils out, but I was 19!  

I was in a ward with 4 other females, and one of them was a talker.   Took most of the day for the anesthesia to wear off; I would come around enough to hear her mouth running and drift off to sleep again.   The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was a floral arrangement in a pink baby bootie beside my bed, with my name on it!   A quick swallow and systems check assured me I had indeed gotten a tonsillectomy!  

When I woke up later, the pink baby bootie was gone and there was a bud vase with roses in its place.   

Super Contributor

I can remember sitting up on the draining board in our tiny 'scullery' in the mid 1940's!  I was an early reader and was reading the newspaper, the only word I mispronounced was 'admiral'.  I said admire all.  Because of my memory I also remember things I'd rather forget, and have a phobia to this day.  My husband is the opposite & remembers almost nothing.  

Honored Contributor

I know the words to every song they play on 70s on 7 but I can't remember anything important before the age of 35.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN