Honored Contributor

Re: How do you tell a 'friend'

@ID2 wrote:

OP, oh gosh I am so sorry you feel like getting rid of a friend. How sad. I've always cherished my friends. As the saying goes..you can never have too many friends. Perhaps you can sit down and have a talk with yourself. I try to reassess myself often, making myself a better person. 

the OP is the better person, the "friend" is the problem.

I don't think we need to be available all the time to a person who apparently doesn't value us 

Respected Contributor

I have different friends for different things.  Some are better to shop with and some are better to luncheon with and some are better to cry with.

There are 6 of us who get together but some I get together alone without the others and others I don't see me hanging alone with them.  One in particular is a friend but not a close friend.  She has changed and sort of just kind of fading her away. We do not connect outside of all of us having a get together.  Use to be once a month  the 6 of us would do dinner but not as often any more and started with the pandemic, but in away was a good thing too.  Some of us are married with kids and grandkids and some are not.

I guess it depends how much of a friend you consider her to be.  You don't have to drive  45 minutes to her place always.  I guess I would just sort of fade away.  Only you know for sure how you really feel.  

I agree with the other comments but always remember the old saying..........

."The only people you need in your life are the ones that show you that they need you in theirs"

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, just let it fade...not all friendships are made to last...many have an expiration date; sometimes it's nothing she said or they said, it's just the way it is....this has happened to me a few times and at first it's hurtful, but then you realize the relationship just ran it's course, no ones fault.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I had a dear relative who when confronted w/a situation she didn't want to do would tell the person she would be out of town. I think you just have to slowly let this thing go. Just be out of town. Breaking off friendships is never easy and will take some time,but try it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I would put a stop to driving 45 minutes to her.  Suggest she come to you in the future if she wants to visit. I bet she will never come.  

Keep saying you can't  do that long drive to her anymore and are so busy if she asks you to come to her.  

Respected Contributor

I have a friend and every time invited her her to do something she said she would think about it and  then decline.  It happened three times. The last time she called at 6 a.m. to tell me she and her husband had to drive 3 hrs. to her DS and DIL to deliver an anniversary card she forgot to mail? 

I am still friends as she has been kind to me and invites me out, but I decide if I feel like going and many times I do things alone rather than  ever  ever ask her to go along. One has to set boundaries and decide if the friendship is worth it. I refuse to be used either as had a woman  former co worker  use me for rides. She  called me and left a message to call her or she wasn't going to bother. She got demanding, done.

Honored Contributor

Ignore her.  Don't answer her invitations, email, phone calls.  Eventually, she'll get the messge.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP, oh gosh I am so sorry you feel like getting rid of a friend. How sad. I've always cherished my friends. As the saying goes..you can never have too many friends. Perhaps you can sit down and have a talk with yourself. I try to reassess myself often, making myself a better person. 

Really??  I wouldn't consider someone who takes advantage of me a "friend."  

Honored Contributor

Friendship is a two way street and it sounds like she isn't really your friend. I agree with the other posters, just don't be available if she tries to make plans.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan