Honored Contributor

Re: How do you say goodbye to 'your stuff' ??

It's hard, but I've come to the conclusion that if it's in a closet or stored somewhere else and I don't use it, then it can go. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

As I have to move most of my own items, the older I get, the easier it is to let go. 

Reminds me of that old Janis Joplin song......Me and Bobby McGee. 

"Freedon's just another word for nothing left to lose" ...............free from possessions and having to care for those items. 

Valued Contributor

This is from Marie Kondo, as another poster had mentioned her. When I am getting rid of an item I am attached to I say "thank you for your service" and then wrap it up to go.

I know it sounds corny but it really helps to let it go.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It's hard, but I've come to the conclusion that if it's in a closet or stored somewhere else and I don't use it, then it can go. 

@QVCkitty1 - I agree with that also.  Other than the few Christmas ornaments I have that would never stay out year round, everything is out and where it should be.  I don't keep things stored in bins other than the Christmas ornaments and I've gotten my pictures down to one photo album.

My sister is 4 years younger than me and is my executor.  I have told her "there are no hidey holes.  Everything is either right here or in the safe deposit box."  No need to wonder whether stuff is tucked away somewhere. It isn't. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

To me its just "stuff". If it has sat in a box and I haven't looked at it I toss it. However, if there are special things that have a lot of meaning to you, take a picture with your iphone for keepsake.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda I am an only child but have cleaned out and closed out four houses.  The real hard bottom line truth is you just have to sit yourself down and say "get over it--it's just stuff."

Having done that, and gone through so much of other people's stuff I was sick of it, I realized that most of my own simply is clutter.

I came to the conclusion that I am not a museum.  I want a life that is easier to maintain, has less space, drawers that aren't crammed full, and am content with far less.

I know it isn't easy, but honestly girl, it's just stuff. It is not YOU.  It does not make you who you are and it can be a burden.  I still have a hard time with books (they were my friends as a lonely kid), but most of it can go and I just think "Oh somebody will love this!"  And that makes me happy. 

Honored Contributor

How about old pictures.... albums of pictures that mean a lot to me...but there is no one to give them too....I guess they go into the trash.. I suppose a ceremony might be preformed of burning them rather than tossing the garbage.... seems sad though 

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

"I think that is another thing that bothers me.  I don't understand why some of my children prefer all this Chinese tossable junk to the great things and pictures of our past. 

We are disposing the past for a disposable future.  Maybe they have it:  easy come, easy go.  Earn it today, toss it tomorrow, nothing to leave to anyone including the gubmint."

What can one add to this comment?

PERFECT!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't read the replies but some thoughts:

- take pictures of the items

- scan letters/picts/drawings

- read the book/s by Marie Kondo

- donating items is a way to let others be blessed by them

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you're at a crossroads and can't decide what to do then look to hiring a professional organizer. That will bring in someone who is neutral to the situation and can help sort things out clearly.

Even that doesn't always work on TV!  It may stasrt out fine but usually doesn't end well.because they still want to be in control.  At least on TV, it usually ends a little better.