Trusted Contributor

Re: How do you say goodbye to 'your stuff' ??

@sarahpanda Join the Facebook group "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning". Many in the group are going through the same thing and are a great source of community and support.

Best wishes, 

-SolarSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name I was going to mention the term death cleaning, too.  

I do not want either of my sons to have to deal with their parents' stuff.  My main problem is getting my husband to agree to decluttering his possessions, especially the garage.  

Respected Contributor

@Solar Is My Name   Thank you for the tip on the Facebook group, I think it will be helpful.

Super Contributor

I had a dear neighbor who would put items in the trash and then go out and break them so she she wouldn't be tempted to bring them back into the house. She was a sweetheart that I will always miss.
Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda  I understand how painful it can be for you. I let go of some of my belongings when I moved from the West coast to the East coast this spring. It wasn't easy. I've heard the saying that memories stay in your mind, but it's the item that was there while making the memory that brings it back.

I had a hard time letting go of my dining room table that held so many of our celebrations, dishes & some crystal my mother gave me, my child's dresser & chest of drawers, etc. I purged them, but they took my tears with them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda You're welcome! People there are supportive, going through many similar challenges.

-Solar Smiley Happy