Esteemed Contributor

How do you "handle" your knit dresses?

I have several Isaac Mizrahi pima cotton knit dresses that I love.  I bought those padded hangers to hang them on it my closet.  But I still get the stretched out "bubble" at the shoulders using those hangers.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid that?  I am wondering if I folded the dresses and hung them like a pair of pants if that would work, or if I would get a fold line there.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Re: How do you "handle" your knit dresses?

That’s exactly how I “hang” mine. If you have any fold lines they will probably straighten out when you wear it from the weight of the dress; if not toss into a slightly warm dryer with a dryer ball and “knock” out the wrinkles.

Honored Contributor

My dh says he just dampens that bubble area and uses my blow dryer while he has the garment on.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn’t dream of hanging a knit dress, just fold it and put it over a hanger that will hang a pair of pants, if you are worried about a crease just simply put something over the bar to pad it.  A lot easier than trying to steam out stretch marks on your shoulders. That goes for sweaters too. Bulky ones like barefoot dreams I fold and then roll up and put in a bin. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I wouldn’t dream of hanging a knit dress, just fold it and put it over a hanger that will hang a pair of pants, if you are worried about a crease just simply put something over the bar to pad it.  A lot easier than trying to steam out stretch marks on your shoulders. That goes for sweaters too. Bulky ones like barefoot dreams I fold and then roll up and put in a bin. 

@Bhvbum Thanks, I will try this. I honestly thought the padded hangers would work, but I just have bigger stretch marks on the shoulders.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

How about folding the dress and putting it in a drawer, or on a shelf?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I have started folding all knit dresses in half at the waist and hanging them that way. They are ready to wear, no crease.  If I hang them straight they get longer and longer and the armpits get too big.  I have ruined a few this way, and learned my lesson.  I use this hanging technique for dusters too.

Respected Contributor

@dex   I was complaining at work about the "Bubble" in the knit cardigans that I hang.  I had one on that day.  A co-worker told me to just dampen the area and smooth and the bubble leaves.  Tried it right away and viola, the bubble is gone!

Respected Contributor

I don’t worry about hanging a dress if it isn’t very heavy. For a heavier dress (or a longer one), I lay it out on the bed, put one hanger in the shoulders, and fold it in thirds lengthwise so the sides meet in the center. I then hang this folded section about a third of the way up on a second hanger and attach the hangers to each other with a twist tie. Using 2 hangers like this “lightens the load” on the dress shoulders and helps prevent those bubbles. It sounds kind of complicated, but only takes a few minutes.