Esteemed Contributor

Re: How are Places of Worship Opening ??

[ Edited ]

Our Church opened this past weekend but only a small percentage. The church is being cleaned after every Mass Service, there is one on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

I did not attend, I still watched on TV and will continue to do so. We are still having daily cases and deaths. When I see that diminishing then I will venture out.

Honored Contributor

NY archdiocese churches will be opening in stages. The suburban parishes will open sooner than our NYC churches.

We get regular Email updates from our parish and from the archdiocese. We have people in the parish with various expertise in these types of issues - so as soon as we open I plan on being there.
Trusted Contributor

Our state is still in lock down, so no word yet when services can start up. We have them on line and that is going to be my choice for a while. Even when we open up I want to stay away from crowds for a while. I sure miss attending though. 

Esteemed Contributor

My church will allow 10 people with social distanting under phase 2 in New Jersey. The mass will still be live on Facebook. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm proud to say that the Catholic bishops in my state did not rush to reopen. They have been working with epidemiologists and medical experts instead of politicians. This week they are allowing a few small rural churches to have Sunday Mass if the crowds are under a certain number of people and everyone wears masks and avoids touching. 

My state has barely tested 2% of the population. 

The number of daily deaths has increased since the governor reopened the state.  

Meat packing plants have 43%-79% of their employees testing positive and spreading it through their towns and cities. 

The first person to test positive after the Lake of the Ozarks party is from my state so he took it home to his family, friends and coworkers.  

There were a few churches in our state that refused to close during the pandemic and now a lot of those people are sick with covid or have tested positive without symptoms...but took it back to their families and communities.

Honored Contributor

Our church hasn't opened back up yet, maybe by the end of June. They have already taken steps though, by setting up a temp taking area when you walk in, also spacing in the pews, only 2 people per pew, no before or after services for a while, and everyone will be required to wear masks, and of course shortened service.....Our congregation is only 60 people, so not big at all...... 

Respected Contributor

Our state (NY) got the go-ahead for immediate reopening of houses of worship, with restrictions. But the fact remains, that this is still a local issue, regardless of what "the state" says.

Again, NY is not NYC, and churches remained open in many other areas, just as businesses have been quietly reopening.  When approval was given for mall stores without mall entrances to open, a number of businesses thought, then why can't I open my free-standing store? 🤔 And so they did.

Also, the admonition that "you can't sit next to someone in a pew" is being disregarded, too, and no one's enforcing it because it's unenforceable. 

Viewing packed venues/services on TV, in light of current events, is proof enough that selective restrictions are impermissible.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf  Our church is able to go back to normal at 50% and with masks. The church leaders have decided to continue with parking lot church. It's great! You don't have to dress up, and you can sit out in a lawn chair if you want. The older folks can also watch from home on Facebook. We have Sunday School in the open air pavilion for those who choose to do so. No children's SS.