Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Pay To Have Your Hair Done?? Addendum to Previous topic

The salon I go to is on the outskirts of a small city.  My stylist is wonderful.  She cuts and colors my hair, foil highlights, blow dry.  $65.   If I just need my roots touched up and the highlights are still ok she charges $45 (that includes the cut).  

The few times she has run over with her prior appointment, she gives me a discount for waiting.  

I paid twice that in the city where  I previously lived, and my hair looks just as nice now.  

I tip 25%.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie... My hair is same as yours.  Short and grey. I also pay the same for shampoo, cut, blow out, plus tip.

I think I saw in another thread one day, you are in central NC? We may be neighbors. LOL My stylist is Mark.

$25 plus tip

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Respected Contributor

St. Louis suburbs here.  I pay $98.00 if I get the works (highlights, lowlights, cut, blow dry, flat iron).  I tip $20.00 to my stylist, she does her own "shampoo."

I am a Wen girl.  My highlights lasts a long, long, time.  I go every six weeks to get a base color root touch-up.  Last August was the last time I needed highlights, so it costs a lot less in the long run.  When I just get a root touch-up along with a blow dry and flat iron it only costs $58.00 and I tip $15.00 usually.  Add $20 if I add highlights, but not hair cut.  Hair cut adds the most cost.  I have long hair (past my shoulders).

This price is very low for this area.  About two years ago, my stylist retired and I searched the entire metro area for a salon, but the prices were about $50.00 more.  I went back to the same salon that I have gone to for years and found a new stylist. I took two different professionals, the first one was a huge disaster!  I gave her a chance to redo it and it was even worse the second time.  I found another pro at the same salon and gave her very specific details and she did a great job with the color. It is actually less expensive now because my former stylist was the owner and charged a bit more.  

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 the lady I go to at Supercuts is General Manager so thank goodness she's stayed with SC this long. Also I have to pay extra for blow dry so I don't know why your location wouldn't offer the same. 

Honored Contributor

I just started new salon.  I've had two cuts there ... so far, so good.  (NYC)

Just a cut - no wash.   $25.   

Esteemed Contributor

My hairdresser charges $65 for color, cut/trim, and blow dry; another $10 for brow/upper lip waxing.  When I started with her, I had been going to an upscale salon for many years.  Over the years, the prices became outrageous, especially when I retired and never knew exactly how much I would be paying each month.  The final straw was when my long-time hairdresser charged me more than double what I pay now and I left as a blonde--I have dark brown hair and my then hairdresser had the same color.  She insisted that I would love the blonde within a few days--I did not.

One of the women who I was very friendly with at the Y is a hairdresser and at the time worked out of her home.  I took a chance because it can get sticky, but I asked her how much I would walk out of her home owing her--including everything.  She said $65 and that is what I still pay after 4 years and she has since purchased a salon.

She does a really good job for me and I am very happy.  Of course, I would love to have someone like Chaz do my hair at least once, but that may never happen.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

My sister does my hair and in return I usually give her something from my vegetable garden.

Honored Contributor

$140 color, cut, wash and blow dry.  Every 5 to 6 weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

$75 for cut and blow dry.

Occasional Contributor

Fort Worth, TX here.  My stylist used to be @ Ulta, then went out on her own at one of those places where various stylists, barbers, aestheticians rent their own booth/suite. She has a small one chair space.  I am 69 with short grey hair and get a cut about every 3 months, last was in Sept., takes 30-45 minutes.  I have been letting it grow out longer in the winter, then get my shorter cut in March & even shorter when the scorching hot summer gets here.  I am always happy with the cut she gives me.  A shampoo, cut & blow dry costs $40 and I tip $8-10.  I gave her $60 for Sept because her husband is recovering from  a brain tumor and she had to stop working for a few months to take care of him.  It was the best I could do, since my hubby is retired and recently had several medical issues so I watch the $$.