Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Pay To Have Your Hair Done?? Addendum to Previous topic

[ Edited ]

@LexPex  I live just outside of Chicago.  I was paying between $20 & $30 from a trainee stylist.  I decided to go with a regular stylist and she is $45 plus a $7 tip.  I told her if she goes up to $50, I will have to go with someone else.  I am on a fixed income and I have to cap it off somewhere.  She said we would work something out when it goes up to $50.   I think haircut prices, color prices are extremely high today.  Haircuts go up to $65 in this salon.  :catwink:

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I live in KY.

I cut my hair myself.

I color my hair myself.

The color costs me about $3.00.

CHEEP CHEEP 

index.png

Honored Contributor

Since no more color appts. every 3 wks. (Yay!), only $45 + tip for haircut every 6 wks.

Esteemed Contributor

I go to a lady in Scottsdale, AZ and for a cut, color, blow dry she charges $100.00. My husband goes to her also and has the few hairs he has left cut for $35.00. I’m sure I could find someone cheaper but I like her and she always does a good job plus when she had surgery and was out for six weeks, she made all the arrangements for her clients to see another stylist.

Honored Contributor

I pay $65 for a cut but since my hair started falling out I only have to go maybe once a year lol so looking at it that way it’s a bargain. 

Honored Contributor

I've been going to the same lady at Supercuts 4 or 5 years. Standard cut $15.95/dry cut for DH and me. Additional charge for blow dry and or shampoo so we do that when we get home. $31.90 plus $10 tip every 4-6 weeks. We really like her so we tip her well. I have root touch ups every 4-6 weeks . I go on Thursday because color discounts on Thursday. $33 plus $10 tip. No shampoo or hair dry because that's extra.  She's become a friend to us so that's why the tip. Our hair is simple. Tulsa, OK

Respected Contributor

I Cannot get a haircut w/ blow dry ( and tip) in my area of CT for under $50, most places are higher.  There is only one other option, Supercuts for $20 (+tip)  but you get someone new every time and you leave there with wet hair ( they won’t  allow you to dry it even for 2 minutes If it’s bitter cold outside).  I cut my own hair because I have wavy hair with cowlicks and no one ever cuts it with the waves properly-  Very reasonable! 

Highlights in this area are well over $100.  I am maybe 30% gray and do my own demi permanent color at home. It’s easy and lasts over a month.  I’m frugal! 

Honored Contributor

I cut mine myself.  I've never been to a hairdresser who doesn't cut off 2-3 inches when you tell her no more than one, or to one whose cut I don't have to fix once I get home.  I'm good at pruning, too!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LexPex  As I read each & every one because this post makes for a good read, I'm at  your's now. I'll read the rest too.

Your prices are very comparable to what I pay at my Aveda Salon Columbus OH. I love my girl Audrey, she's great at all she does for me (she's their makeup artist as well). So first, I think they raised the prices a few months ago but never said anything (to me at least). My bottom line rose from $100 to $125 w/out tip. I have short hair and sometimes I go really short so to do me I think folks with really short hair should get a price break. Especially those of us who get color of any sort, makes sense as not nearly the amount of product and time is needed.

Anyway, with help by a good color saving shampoo I can stretch out to a good 8-9wks unless I'm REALLY needing a haircut. SO when I go it's color (roots and most times foils but again not many in short hair), cut & blowout = $125 plus $20tip).

Like you Ms Lex @LexPex  I don't look like $145.00 polished gorgeous gal!!! If DH knew how much I 'spent on this' he'd freak out! Most times he doesn't notice and/or chooses to say nothing.

Yeah, $145 is insane! The only way this goes down a bit is if I do color and no cut because I'm in that mood again to grow it out a little.

Trusted Contributor

I live in the Las Vegas area and only get a haircut and blow dry.  Cost is $20 at Paul Mitchell Beauty Institute.  They are advanced students ready to graduate.  I bought a VIP card for $50 and I get free haircuts for a year.  I tip $5.  Of course I may not get the same student; the longest I had for about 3 - 4 months.  It seems the instructor does most of the hair cutting.  I have a short bob.  The usual cost for haircuts is $50 and up.