Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Pay To Have Your Hair Done?? Addendum to Previous topic

@stargazergal wrote:

@Hondagirl wrote:

Haircuts etc. have gotten way out of line.  I have short hair with some highlights which helps my fine hair manage better for me... Last week I walked out of the salon and my bill was $175.00... This is getting outrageous... I don't get paid that much per hour or so but we are stuck with these salons charging so much.. Then with the tip and give the girl who washes your hair the bill is now $200... I don't look like $200 when I walk out... Most places where I live charge prices like this so I am stuck or let my hair grow gray...Tired of so much money for everything....

That seems ridiculous !   I have paid that much, and wouldn't mind paying that much IF I RECEIVED 175 DOLLAR SERVICE.   HAVE NOT....... SO  I now do my own hair.  Sounds scary, but it is not.  I have found a perfect medium brown (Swartzkopf) and then, blow dry.  Then I apply a highlighting over.  and it turns out amazing.  I have

gotten good with the scissors.   I use a flat iron, and sometimes a curling iron.  I love not having to sit in the chair for 2 hours, and spending big bucks, walking out, not totally happy with my hair.   I have had enough not so great experiences to get to this point.  

@stargazergal  Hello could you tell me where you get your color from? Amazon/Ebay??  I would LOVE to be able to color my own hair....the cost for me is abit much these days and I need to color every 4wks I'd like to do my roots every 3wks to be honest.  I like a medium ash brown color so your post really jumped out at me!

My cost just went up here in Michigan....last total was 110.00 + 20 tip....so 130.00 every 4wks.  I get my roots colored then a semi permanent color pulled thur ends...goes on same time as my root color to process...and then hair cut blow dry.  She cuts hair wonderful and CONSISTENTLY! that's key for me I have had others that each time you went in it was like they couldn't remember what they did for you last time and it was messed up.  

Honored Contributor

A good friend of mine in Pittsburgh has pretty long straight sorta unkept hair. She got a gift certificate to an upscale salon and went & had her hair cut & styled.It cost $60. When she told me about it on the phone I thought that was an awful lot for a haircut & dry but when I saw her new short style I was impressed with how really cute and complimentary it was.She has been keeping up with it and it is very cute on her. It is money well spent as her hair had been dragging her down. She looks much younger with a younger hairstyle. Her hair is salt & pepper color so she is also thinking of getting it colored. I think it will look fabulous on her.

Regular Contributor

$65 for a wash and blow out;  $70 for a wash and roller set;  $160 for the works wash/deep condition/color/trim.  I always leave a 20% tip.   

Super Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@stargazergal wrote:

@Hondagirl wrote:

Haircuts etc. have gotten way out of line.  I have short hair with some highlights which helps my fine hair manage better for me... Last week I walked out of the salon and my bill was $175.00... This is getting outrageous... I don't get paid that much per hour or so but we are stuck with these salons charging so much.. Then with the tip and give the girl who washes your hair the bill is now $200... I don't look like $200 when I walk out... Most places where I live charge prices like this so I am stuck or let my hair grow gray...Tired of so much money for everything....

That seems ridiculous !   I have paid that much, and wouldn't mind paying that much IF I RECEIVED 175 DOLLAR SERVICE.   HAVE NOT....... SO  I now do my own hair.  Sounds scary, but it is not.  I have found a perfect medium brown (Swartzkopf) and then, blow dry.  Then I apply a highlighting over.  and it turns out amazing.  I have

gotten good with the scissors.   I use a flat iron, and sometimes a curling iron.  I love not having to sit in the chair for 2 hours, and spending big bucks, walking out, not totally happy with my hair.   I have had enough not so great experiences to get to this point.  

@stargazergal  Hello could you tell me where you get your color from? Amazon/Ebay??  I would LOVE to be able to color my own hair....the cost for me is abit much these days and I need to color every 4wks I'd like to do my roots every 3wks to be honest.  I like a medium ash brown color so your post really jumped out at me!

My cost just went up here in Michigan....last total was 110.00 + 20 tip....so 130.00 every 4wks.  I get my roots colored then a semi permanent color pulled thur ends...goes on same time as my root color to process...and then hair cut blow dry.  She cuts hair wonderful and CONSISTENTLY! that's key for me I have had others that each time you went in it was like they couldn't remember what they did for you last time and it was messed up.  

I got it through Amazon.   I am not able to access my Amazon account at the moment, because I forgot the password.   I know I ordered a medium brown.  I stay away from anything with ash, or anything golden.   You can find a nice medium brown in the stores.   This last coloring I did, was Clairol.   Same with the highlighing kit.   It sounds like you have an amazing hairdresser.   Good for you !  

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.....read every one and it is very interesting to see what everyone pays.  I do think that the  closer you are to a big cityt the $$ go up

I saw several of you who pay approimately what I pay...PinkDogwood, Sooner, SouthFlorida and a few more.

I loved the woman who wrote that she was married to her DH for 46 years and he cut her hair....He was certainly a keeper.  Hard to lose someone like that..sorry for your loss.

Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

Went to a new stylist lately for a new cut.  When I asked 'how much', he answered $13!  I nearly fainted!  It is a local shop and is well known and very busy.

Trusted Contributor

That is a lot of money.

Respected Contributor

I moved to Georgia (30 minutes north of Atlanta) almost 2 years ago.  I pay $130 for a haircut, blow dry, getting rid of my roots and highlights.  I came to Georgia from California (Central Coast) and actually paid less in Calif, $90.

Super Contributor

A great hairstylist should be happy to have you as a customer.

Give reccomendations  ask questions for what you are wanting

and give suggestions.  Communicate reasons why something

may or maynot work for said hairstyle or coloring.  

A great hairstylist should explain

in detail the coloring they are using, and explain the cut

they are executing to give what you are asking for.

A great hairstylist will be sure to wipe coloring off of face, around

neck, and ears.  It is their job to do so !

A great hairstylist will check coloring while hair is in foils

A great hairstylist when using pinking shears,

will know HOW TO USE THEM,  before using them !  

A great hairstylist shouldn't be washing off half of the customers

makeup while at the shampoo bowl ! 

A great hairstylist has you as their only customer, especially when

paying a price of over 100 dollars !!!

A great hairstylist should have a clean station and have hair product

recomendations for a completed hairstyle. 

A great hairstylist double and triple checks their work and makes sure

the customer is happy with end result.  

I use to have a hairstylist like this........ Sadly she moved away..... have

not found one like her as of yet.......  BUT will keep you all posted.

Do not settle for less........ It is their job  and these are the services you

are paying for !

A great hairstylist doesn't and shouldn't gossip in the front

or back of the house.  Be texting all the while performing

haircoloring and cutting.  

Respected Contributor

Where I live, I think salons are rather expensive.  

A haircut (including shampoo, cut, blowdry) is $50.

All services are a la cart, so if I do a partial foil, I have to add $90 to that.

Then you add in tip.

These are not ritzy salons.  It's a small town, and we're on an island, the nearest "city" is about 20 miles away, so I guess that accounts for it.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero