Respected Contributor

Re: How Did Your Grandmother Spend Her Days At Our Age?

I never knew my maternal grandmother as she died in her early 20's from the pandemic of 1918.     My mother was 4 years of age at the time her mother died.   My grandmother was pregnant at the time and both she and the baby died.  

Before her death my grandmother was a talented pianist.  My mother didn't have too many memories of her but she did remember going to the theatre and listening to her mother play the piano.  

After my grandfather lost his wife he had to travel for his job so my mother's maternal grandmother and grandfather took my mother in and raised her for most of her childhood.   She had a wonderful life with them but always missed having a mother.  

I was born when both of my parents were in their 40's so my memories of having grandparents are not like others.    My paternal grandparents were much older by the time that I was born.   They had a farm and my grandfather worked in the coal mines so I believe that aged them quite a bit.   

I have happier memories of my maternal grandfather.   He eventually became a police chief and then became mayor of our town in PA.  I remember what a thrill it was for me as a small child to go to our summer parade and see my grandfather coming down the street in his mayoral convertible waving to the crowd.   I was really proud that he was my grandfather.

Trusted Contributor

My paternal grandmother died when I was a few months old.  I remember my maternal grandmother hanging the laundry on the clothesline (she didn't own a dryer), cooking large meals for my grandfather and she had his plate on the kitchen table as he was walking in the back door arriving home after work.  When he was finished, she would get up and serve him a freshly baked dessert-either a slice of cake or pie.  

Grandma would sit in her chair in the corner of the living room (which she called the "front room") and cross stitch and crochet when she wasn't busy doing something else. In fact, she taught me how to do those things. Such happy memories! For me to say I still miss her terribly is an understatement. 

Honored Contributor

My grandmother was beaten by my grandfather. I believe in her older years she had organic brain syndrome. He also beat my aunts and uncles. One of my uncles at age 6 had both legs broken by that grandfather. For some reason (we never learned why) my grandfather left the Catholic church and would not allow any of his kids or my grandmother to attend. Everyday my grandmother prayed to Mary that if he died first she would go back to the Catholic Church and she did. Those of you that are young do not know that these abuse cases were not taken care by the law. 

I am so sad by this I cannot write anymore.

Respected Contributor

Both of my grandmothers were still working full time when they were the age I am now.

My paternal grandma was an accounting supervisor for the utility company. My grandpa was in management at a pharmaceutial company. Grandma said her earnings were her "fun" money. 

My maternal grandma had been widowed for many years and had finally been able to work just one job, as an executive assistant at the local university. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

By 55 I think my mother's mother was retired from working in my grandfather's butcher shop and grocery store.  My grandfather sold it after his first heart attack.

My other grandmother never worked outside the home.

They both cooked and cleaned and took care of my grandfathers.

The routine was generally get up, make breakfast, figure out dinner and take out whatever needed to be defrosted, cleaned, soaked, etc., do the chore of the day, stop to make lunch, watch some soap operas, start dinner around 4:30, turn on Merv Griffin after dinner and then go to bed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Worked from the time she got up until she went to bed.  She had 8 children.  Took care of them, the house, laundry, cooking (her pies were wonderful), canned fruits and vegetables, took care of my great-grandmother when she was ill.  She was a wonderful woman.  

Honored Contributor

I never met any of my grandparents. Only one grandfather was alive when I was born and he died when I was little.

Neither of my parents had a good opinion of my paternal grandparents. My maternal grandmother was apparently wonderful - she was a farmer’s wife, worked herself to death and died in her 50s.
Honored Contributor

My paternal grandmother had 8 kids so by the time she was my age she had lots of grandkids to spend her time with.

My maternal grandmother was 50 when my mother was born, so at my age, she was raising a teenager.

Esteemed Contributor

Now this is a good thread. My paternal grandma lived in Minnesota and was very social. She was a fancy dresser and had a fancy house. Her day consisted on how many friends she could have. Her husband had died by then and had one son living near by with 3 grandkids. She had style but was snobby but she treated us well. My maternal grandmother lived 5 minutes away in LA and she lived the California lifestyle . She was easy going and happy. Her husband and her kids and grandkids and her sister lived close by which helped her to be happy. She had a really good life.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

My grandmother had 6 sisters and 2 brothers (she was one of 9).  The youngest 2 looked at her like a mother because their mother was hospitalized on and off most of their lives, so my grandmother and the older sisters basically raised them.  The two youngest were close in age to my mother and her brother, so they were more like siblings than cousins.

My grandmother dropped out of school in 5th grade to help raise her siblings.  My grandmother was 2nd or 3rd born.

They lived near each other all their lives and were very close, but oy could they by catty, petty and gossipy. 

My grandmother once made us turn around and go back to the house because she forgot to put in earrings and she said her sisters will talk about her in church the next day.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN