Respected Contributor

Re: How Did Your Grandmother Spend Her Days At Our Age?

[ Edited ]

my grandmother was cooking all day for her husband and anyone who was visiting them, which was often. Watching her Soap Operas on a small TV in the kitchen. During the holidays it was non stop professional style Italian baking... Cucidati. Does anybody know that one and how ba-l breaking it is to make it. She'd make tons and tons for the whole family. She had 15 kids, and countless grandchildren. She would relax by taking in an evening game of BINGO and grandpa would pick her up cause she didn't drive. In the prohibition days grandpa was bootlegging and she was his right hand!  I complain everyday at the end of the work day wondering if I'll ever see retirement. Poor Me...Boo hoo...get a helmet! My other grandma I understood was the complete opposite. She died at 57 poor grandma! I never got to know her, but I'm named for her!

Honored Contributor

Both of my Grandmothers lived in Pasadena, CA (I had a great-grandmother there also).  Neither of them worked. 

My paternal grandmother had 7 children (6 girls and 1 boy).  The last two girls were only a few years older than I was.  

My maternal grandparents had owned a supper club but lost it (and their house) during the depression.  My grandmother and grandfather were great cooks.  My grandmother did a lot of volunteer work - 50 year award from the American Redcross, she was the president of the American Legion Auxiliary for state of CA.  Lot of card parties, mostly Canasta.  I loved cucumber sandwiches and olive sandwiches.  I would take them to school and then could not understand why no one wanted to trade!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne I have to ask.....how does one make an olive sandwich?  I'm right there with you on cucumber sandwiches.  Love those crisp little pickleing cucumbers!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

They were just sliced black or green olives with a thin coat of cream cheese or mayo.  I would not eat them now but when I was an 8-year old I thought they were delicious and my favorite of her tea sandwich repertoire.  I also like the smoked salmon but my mother would not let me take them to school only the cucumber and olive.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

PS:  Maybe I just liked the fact that I did have to eat the crust?

Respected Contributor

One of my grandmothers was a young widow.  My grandfather died when I was an infant.  She was an active volunteer at the VA hospital in our city.  She kept a lovely home and enjoyed gardening.  She played the piano.  She also had a second home - a lake house - where she spent many days in the summer.  She had an active friend circle and they traveled with each other.  The best part for me was I lived a block from her until I was 10 years old and she spend tons of time with me!  Happy memories.  Sadly, my other grandma passed in her very early 60's.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@ECBG 

PS:  Maybe I just liked the fact that I did have to eat the crust?

@DiAnne Crust never bothered me.  We never had cream cheese in the fridge unless it was for a recipe.  The same with sour cream.  Living on a farm, we didn't "bake potatoes".  Most of our potatoes were the small  "new potatoes" not much bigger than an egg and most often cooked in a big pot of fresh green beans.

Regular Contributor

Wish I knew.Smiley Sad  My maternal grandmother died in 1903, 36 1/2 years before I was born.  My paternal grandmother died when I was 5 1/2 months.  I did have the world's best stepgrandmother. She died when I was 16, now I'm 79.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

We only ate potatoes on holidays and then they were usually mashed potatoes.  I was in Southern California and our meals consisted of a green salad, a vegetable and some sort of protein.  We ate out a lot in Los Angeles and that was about the only time I had a baked potato as a kid.