Honored Contributor

Re: How Can You Know If an E-message is Fake

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Just assume it is fake. Just delete it. Don't dare click on it to open and certainly do NOT reply.

@Goldengate8361   @Pasta Lover 

Those links are very serious booby traps!    Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pasta Lover wrote:

I keep getting e-messages from a celebrity who now wants to converse with me on google chat!  I only have commented on their FB account.  How do I know if it is real?  It seems that they have thousands of fans all over the world & how would they have the time to chat with them.

If you don't personally know the person messaging you, it's a scam. Common sense. Block them. 

I investigated fraud for 20 years of my career. I don't trust anyone or anything. People are so gullible.

Trusted Contributor

@Pasta Lover  Any email/text/online message from someone you don't know or a business you have not had contact with very recently is more than likely a scam and should be ignored/deleted.  Gift cards are one of the biggest scams.  And anything with a link is suspect.  It's not worth it.  Seriously.  Way too much sketchy stuff online.  Almost everyone wants a piece of your account in the virtual world.  Better to be safe than scammed.  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Pasta Lover wrote:

I keep getting e-messages from a celebrity who now wants to converse with me on google chat!  I only have commented on their FB account.  How do I know if it is real?  It seems that they have thousands of fans all over the world & how would they have the time to chat with them.

If you don't personally know the person messaging you, it's a scam. Common sense. Block them. 

I investigated fraud for 20 years of my career. I don't trust anyone or anything. People are so gullible.

I have to add.  I get messages from 'me' too. I have friends who were hacked. I never open a message that says it's from me. If a friend gets hacked, I won't open messages from them either.

Honored Contributor

Totally fake

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller