Trusted Contributor

Re: Hotter than Hot at the Back Fence for August 2017

The promised rain passed us by again.  Grass is turning into straw.   A little too early fir that.   

Merles ear has a staph infection   They have him on an antibiotic.  At least it is not hurting.   He had to go to Indianapolis tonight for a meeting tomorrow.  Hope the bandage  holds.  Kinda scary.  

Ive been watching the mother of the young woman who was killed in Charlottesville this weekend.  What courage she is showing. She preaches love not hate. I'm not sure I could do that if my daughter had just been deliberately run over by a hater.  

Hair cut first thing tomorrow.  I really need it.  

Honored Contributor

Good Morning from a drizzly part of SE Michigan :-)  I started my morning with some rain that was a bit more than a sprinkle yet not really a steady rain.  As long as it's not toads or locusts falling from the sky, I'm grateful for any kind of rain at this point.  Looks like we could have on and off rain through the week. 

@yock  Wow I am sorry that Merle has a staph infection.  He probably walked out of the doctor's office or wherever he had the procedure done with the staph.  The only people I know who ever got staph, got it from a medical facility.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

we have been getting some much needed rain.everything is so nice and green.

had a nice weekend.went to visit our son and family. My goodness,he cooked hamburgers outside,so yummy. They get there beef from a butcher who raises his own beef.they are the best tasting burgers.think I'll send my son some money for the next time he visits he can buy me some beef to bring with him.

our oldest grandson is 16,and is now as tall as me,and is taller already than his mom.

nothing else going on.counting the days till we leave on vacation.

Honored Contributor

Hello all - it's been a busy workweek for me.  (Not complaining),  Have an icecream sandwich.  There is a flavor without nuts for anyone with digestive issues :-)

Image result for ice cream sandwiches

Trusted Contributor

Yummy.      I love ice cream sandwiches.  I'll have mine for breakfast.  One of the memories my grandchildren remember is being allowed to eat dilly bars for breakfast.   It wasn't nearly as inviting  whrn it wasn't forbidden. Soon enought they opted for scrambled eggs. Lol

woke up to rain this morning.  It came down hard for about ten minutes, then left.  Weatherman promises more   I have a luncheon date at 1 so maybe I'll get to use my new umbrella.  

Respected Contributor

Hi Epi, always good to see you here!! So you finally got that rain huh Betty. I too love ice cream sandwiches - every now and then I buy a box of them at the store - never lost my taste for them. Now that was a smart move Bernie!!

Another very chilly morning and I love it. Even in the hottest of time it was ALWAYS cool nights and mornings. This summer it stayed hot a hot - not our once normal. But then nothing much is normal any more I do not believe.

Davey overslept this morning and I reminded him it was HIS JOB to wake up each morning. Ain't no way I will be the alarm clock for a 16 - almost 17 year old. Sure I will check but will NOT be responsible to awaken him. He has alarms in there on his XBox and phone - he uses them for a lot of things and needs to use one or the other to wake up. I did manage to get him to his first bus stop on time however - would have been a war if I had to drive him further. Ain't gonna do it unless there is an emergency.

Have a good day one and all.

Honored Contributor

Forecast here is for storms, possibly severe this afternoon (probably while I am at work).  I have a new unexpected project at home.  I live in a 2 story house and most of the time I'm downstairs and use the 1/2 bathroom.

I even keep my Oral B rechargable toothbrush in the bathroom.  So I took a nice bath, was ready to relax and decided to brush my teeth around 9:30 last night.  I walk into the 1/2 bath and notice something dark under the toilet water tank.  I think to myself what the he** is that and I bend down and feel water.  Then I notice a puddle of water under the sink. 

Long story short, it was rusty water that had dripped from 2 bolts that connect the tank to the toilet.  So there I am after I mop everything up, laying on the floor (I'm tall) with a flashlight on only trying to figure out what in the hell** is leaking. 

I put a rectangular rubbermaid container lined with paper towel under the tank (only 2 bolts of 3 were drippy). 

I came into work this morning and was talking to one of the guys here about what it takes to replace a toilet.  I have never done it and figured, well Bernie, it can't be rocket science.

My coworker tells me I can go to a plumbing supply place we both know and just replace the bolts - no need to replace the entire toilet.

So, this weekend, probably on Saturday, I will be at the plumbing supply place with my bolt and also the main ring/washer thing that all the water in the tank goes through to actually trigger the flush.

I've lived in the house nearly 16 years and I'm sure the toilet was there (albeit it in good condition) when I bought the house.  We replaced the toilet seats but didn't see the sense of replacing the toilets when we bought the house.

I guess over time, like anything, the washers/gaskets/whatever (lol) get brittle and break down.

Home ownership - gotta love it :-)

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Forecast here is for storms, possibly severe this afternoon (probably while I am at work).  I have a new unexpected project at home.  I live in a 2 story house and most of the time I'm downstairs and use the 1/2 bathroom.

I even keep my Oral B rechargable toothbrush in the bathroom.  So I took a nice bath, was ready to relax and decided to brush my teeth around 9:30 last night.  I walk into the 1/2 bath and notice something dark under the toilet water tank.  I think to myself what the he** is that and I bend down and feel water.  Then I notice a puddle of water under the sink. 

Long story short, it was rusty water that had dripped from 2 bolts that connect the tank to the toilet.  So there I am after I mop everything up, laying on the floor (I'm tall) with a flashlight on only trying to figure out what in the hell** is leaking. 

I put a rectangular rubbermaid container lined with paper towel under the tank (only 2 bolts of 3 were drippy). 

I came into work this morning and was talking to one of the guys here about what it takes to replace a toilet.  I have never done it and figured, well Bernie, it can't be rocket science.

My coworker tells me I can go to a plumbing supply place we both know and just replace the bolts - no need to replace the entire toilet.

So, this weekend, probably on Saturday, I will be at the plumbing supply place with my bolt and also the main ring/washer thing that all the water in the tank goes through to actually trigger the flush.

I've lived in the house nearly 16 years and I'm sure the toilet was there (albeit it in good condition) when I bought the house.  We replaced the toilet seats but didn't see the sense of replacing the toilets when we bought the house.

I guess over time, like anything, the washers/gaskets/whatever (lol) get brittle and break down.

Home ownership - gotta love it :-)

@Bird mama  I admire you for being able to repair it yourself, I know I couldn't, but DH could.

When we were remodeling in 2013-14, all of a sudden the bathroom off of the rec room wasn't working well, and a red light was visible, a warning light, because of the way the plumbing works down there, has ti go up in order to get to the septic tank, thus the light.

The plumber came and said the tank was rusted, but it was black and corroded with a layer of something, etc., so it was replaced for $2,000, and when he showed me it, it was unbelievable, unrecognizable, so took a picture for DH to see.  I often say we stayed too long here, because we have had to replace many things at great expense, and still have more to do, such as drywall work in almost every room due to settling since we are in the hills.  The drought was damaging in this regard, deep cracks.

The dining room ceiling has to be replaced as was the rec room ceiling, as when it was installed, there was one block of it separated from the rest, and after years of previous owners patching, it is a mess now, dreading that expense.  

It's still better to own than to rent, in many ways. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  One nice thing about home ownership that I appreciate is that the only barrier to getting anything done would be me.  I answer to know one, don't have to kiss anyone's behind to get something started.  Part of me was excited at the prospect of replacing my toilet, lol.  Never done that before.  One day I would like to get a taller toilet so that it will be easier for me to get on and off in my old age :-)

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  One nice thing about home ownership that I appreciate is that the only barrier to getting anything done would be me.  I answer to know one, don't have to kiss anyone's behind to get something started.  Part of me was excited at the prospect of replacing my toilet, lol.  Never done that before.  One day I would like to get a taller toilet so that it will be easier for me to get on and off in my old age :-)

@Bird mama  DH's Dad taught him and his sister how to make plumbing repairs and other.  DH could build a house, he has those skills just from learning, but has no time for that, so he comes in handy around here, thank goodness, because I am a dummy when it comes to anything technical, good at hard labor though, lol.