Honored Contributor

Re: Hotter than Hot at the Back Fence for August 2017

The owners of the house before me updated things in this house through the years that they lived here.  Apparently, when it came to the toilet, they, like me, felt if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I could see a faint ink stamp called Mansfield Plumbing on the inside of the toilet tank.  For grinnies, I googled Mansfield Plumbling, which is still active in Ohio.  I googled - how do I determine the model of my Mansfield toilet?

The advice via google was check the inside or underside of the toilet tank lid.

My toilet is 3 years younger than I am Woman Surprised  It was made on 8-16-1965.  Model number 5S-7S.

So, I contacted Mansfield Plumbing via email to let them know about my vintage toilet.  I asked if they could recommend a model number for replacement parts since the toilet is pristine except for the bolts.

We'll see if they respond.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I admire you for not going on a panic trip, Bernie.  I'm no good at all with that kind of stuff. 

I had lunch plans at 1 and of course that's when the rain decided to come. Never fear, I had my umbrella safely in the car.   When I got to the restaurant, the sun was shining. When I got home I checked the rain gauge there was less than 1/2 inch.   I  hope we get some more this evening but the sky is looking very clear.  We had a great 2 hour lunch and the food was good.  My Chinese cookie said some people were saying nice things about me. I figured that was all of you and the birders.  

My twin great Grandsons bus never came. I guess he was sitting on Shadow Leaf Drive and they live on Shadow lake.   Mom drove them to school.   They were 20 minutes late getting home   Here in my area two different schools had to cancel three days of school while they remapped the routes.  That should have been done and practiced before the first day.  Kids can get really freaked out by things like that.  One of the twins is really hyper and the other is laud back.   I'm sure their mother expressed her thoughts. 

Honored Contributor

@yock  Betty, I can afford to be calm for two reasons.  There is a toilet upstairs, lol, and I have an individual water shut off at the toilet and don't have to shut the water down to the entire house.  When I was a kid we hd one toilet and the only way to cut off the water if daddy was fixing a faucet or anything was to shut down the whole house.  Of course, he moved like a snail and everyone had to tinkle once we knew we couldn't flush, ha ha ha.

Respected Contributor

Am leaving some of those great raisin and cinnamon bagels - cream cheese also. Even have the coffee pot going - so come on people, stop by. Can't believe I did not stop by yesterday - shame on me. Well, where was everyone else also?

Little girl is still asleep but she is beginning to toss a little - she has been asleep for 12 hours - unreal. She obviously needed the rest. Of course I did not sleep that well later on as I kept checking her. Hope it helps her disposition as yesterday she was  a bit ornery - AGAIN! Sure wish her angel attitude would return. LOL.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Am leaving some of those great raisin and cinnamon bagels - cream cheese also. Even have the coffee pot going - so come on people, stop by. Can't believe I did not stop by yesterday - shame on me. Well, where was everyone else also?

Little girl is still asleep but she is beginning to toss a little - she has been asleep for 12 hours - unreal. She obviously needed the rest. Of course I did not sleep that well later on as I kept checking her. Hope it helps her disposition as yesterday she was  a bit ornery - AGAIN! Sure wish her angel attitude would return. LOL.

Have a great day everyone.

@Winifred  Maybe she is beginning the terrible 2's, lol, though I must say DD was an angel too, never went through that, always a smile on her face as she grew up, except those times when discipline was issued, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, I fixed my toilet this morning and am feeling pretty good.  I had replaced the 'gut's of the inside of the toilet in April.  Well, now my toilet has fresh tank washers and a new 2 inch spud gasket, ha ha ha.

I figured why not replace all the washer related things at one time.  Total cost about $10.  I'll be watching for leaks for the next couple of hours.  One never wants to torque a nult/bolt too tight when working with porcelain or ceramic.

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I think I missed the partial solar eclipse, lol.  We upgraded to office 16 the other day and Excel is giving me fits sorting a column of numbers correctly.  It's like the software doesn't recognize number 939 comes before 8805.  I think it's sorting on the first number and I've tried everything.  Just about ready to pull my hair out. 

Oh well, such is new technology, lol.

Trusted Contributor

Now Bernie if you can overhaul a toilet, you can overcome Excel.   I bought a new iPad this weekend and Verizon transferred all my stuff. Then I came home and couldnt figure out what pass word we used.  Usually it is the one on the router but that one didn't work.  So I called a Verizon and was up til 1:30 am trying to figure it out. We reset the router and still couldn't get it.  Finally she said I'll send you a new router.  I said no it is not the router cause I still have one iPad that works.  The program wouldn't let me try to get in any more cause we had tried too many times.  I told her I would try again and call her back if I needed to.  So I kept trying. I picked up my phone and entered the password on the router and all of a sudden everything worked.  

So, then in church listening to the sermon you can begin again I thought wait a minute.  Verizon doesn't have my wi fi, Frontier does.   Oh no.  So I called frontier   That guy was not very nice or patient.   He said you are in and the router is recognizing the password.  But I say it shows the name a Verizon at the top. He said that doesn't make any difference.  Frontier bought fits from Verizon.  I said well Verizon has our cell phones but Frontier has our wifi.  Hopefully he is right.  

I was so upset by then that I was ready to send it back.  So I headed to Verizon store cause Merle needed to show them his vets card to get a discount.  I talked to the sweet girl who sold this to me and she checked and said everything is working fine. 

I bought a keyboard case but it defeats the purpose of a lighter instrument. It's neat tho.  It also has a pencil so you can write on the screen.  The girl said she downloaded a program so she could edit pictures with the pencil. So I was telling my Grandson and he says so you're intending to take lots of pictures of something?  Smart ---     But today I just explored.   Once I figure out the pen I'm going to write an entire message in cursive and send it to him.   It would have Been nice to have had it when I used to take notes I could have done mark ups right on the screen.

hooe Excel is good to you tomorrow.  I still have to use it for some of Merle's reports.  It takes me forever.  

Honored Contributor

@yock   Betty, I gave myself a small headache but I figured it out with Excel, lol.  My cell phone is with Consumer Cellular.  My sister and I bought identical phones.  My SIM card was for Tmobile, Mary's was AT&T - they buy services from each other. It's a conspiracy, lol.  My computer and this tablet have WiFi from AT&T.  Between work and home I got so many passwords I'm lucky I remember how to log in anywhere.    

Respected Contributor

Betty, Birdmama I will never master these electronics. Just way too much work to do something which to me should be easy and geared towards those who would much prefer mind-reading things. On second thought that might not be a good idea either knowing what I think sometimes. Sigh. I cannot even use this whatever cell phone I got a few months back. Finally was able to put WiFi on it but cannot even get all my contacts on it. Do one and then can NEVER find the right whatever to keep adding. My old phones were so simple but of course they were regular phones, no internet or anything - I believe I truly prefer that.

Got a tad warm yesterday but certainly not oppressive heat at all. By about 2 this morning was freezing and so was everyone else. Ricky woke up so covered him up and put a shirt on him - guess he had taken his shirt off sometime. Little girl was also chilly so pulled her blanket up over her. Just changed her panties and she turned over - perhaps to grab another 10 or 15 minutes.

Must get the feeders filled today - should be fun.

Hope all have a great day.