Honored Contributor

I would need to be very hungry before I'd eat a hot dog boiled in water. Grill or roast them and then put them in the crock pot to keep them warm.  

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Thanks everyone, this is adults only.  There were not many that signed up for a 'main' dish...I did not sign up, because I was not sure I could make it.  Not that hot dogs are a main dish but there were plenty of people bring some sort of a salad.

I will buy a good quality hot dog...Saturday is super busy for me and I think the hot dogs will be easiest.

thanks for all the great suggestions.

Glad you are going with the hot dogs,relax a great pick,never saw a guy turn up their nose to a good hot dog, women in the group might go for other type of food being offered,just get some good  mustard, ketchup ,jars of onions made for hot dogs if available in your area and  hot dog rolls.

I'm in NY and all the hot dog stands,concession stands  always do a great business who doesn't like a good hot dog.

Trusted Contributor

Toss a bag of frozen mini meatballs in a crockpoot cover the meatballs with BBQ sauce and cook on low and serve it on rolls, I used to do that for our company pot-lucks on occasion, very simple and delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie   Many people can't eat hot dogs because of medical issues.  They have way too much salt and they are processed smoked meat.  They most likely have gluten in them. Many don't eat pork and who can be sure if they are made from chicken, pork, beef or a combination?

It is not called being fussy when you can't eat them for valid reasons.

Of course you can't cater to everyone, but you can't be upset if no one eats them.  The last few BBQ's I had, not one person wanted a hot dog...not even cooked on a grill.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie ........Of course there are the people that have food allergies, medical diets, religious limits.  But the point is, as individuals we cant be responsible for their diet restrictions.  People with special food restrictions need to be adult and not eat those foods. 

Sorry no one wanted your hot dogs, I like  them grilled.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

Faster and less mess is go to the bakery section of your supermarket and purchase a few pies or cake.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie   Many people can't eat hot dogs because of medical issues.  They have way too much salt and they are processed smoked meat.  They most likely have gluten in them. Many don't eat pork and who can be sure if they are made from chicken, pork, beef or a combination?

It is not called being fussy when you can't eat them for valid reasons.

Of course you can't cater to everyone, but you can't be upset if no one eats them.  The last few BBQ's I had, not one person wanted a hot dog...not even cooked on a grill.

GREAT post. I agree with all of your comments. I NEVER eat hot dogs - WAY too much sodium and UNHEALTHY ingredients.

Respected Contributor

I must admit whenever I have gone to a potluck, hot dogs were not an item that was brought, nor would I have taken one.  There are so many easy main dishes to make in a crockpot to bring.  Sweet and Sour meatballs over rice, Buffalo Mac and Cheese, or you could just add bacon to the M&C, a stew of your choice. Lots of choices that do not take much time to make at all.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  How about chili? The easiest recipe that I have found is on the back of the French's chili packet. It's three ingredients : hamburger,chili packet and diced tomatoes. You could double the recipe to make 8 servings. You'd need 2 lbs hamburger,2 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes and 2 packets of chili powder. I prefer French's because it has more flavor. 
Good luck.

Contributor

This question made me laugh!  Years ago at a work place pot luck an emplyee brought in a 99 cent pack of hot dogs & in the slow cooker they kept swelling up getting bigger & bigger. A member of upper management lifted the lid and remarked,  "Oh great!  I love smoked  sausages"