Valued Contributor

Re: Hospital Expenses...Holy Smoke!

@Hmmmmm24 wrote:

And there are still plenty of people who don't have insurance at all. I thought that was against the law, but I guess no one cares about going after them.

I work at a company that processes medical payments. Many who don't have insurance or don't have enough coverage get charity care. Even for those amounts. I think it's ridiculous and the rest of us who have good insurance are paying higher rates to make up for those who can't pay.

The Supreme Court ruled the fine unconstitutional a few years back. 

Valued Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

The very high salaries and "bonuses" of top management in profit-driven health insurance companies and hospitals are a big part of the high costs of health insurance premiums and medical care.

There should be a choice for consumers to buy insurance and go to hospitals that pay what I consider more reasonable salaries.  Some health insurance companies and hospitals could be run more like a credit union (no frills, but good salaries and benefits for their employees and excellent service for their clients) instead of run like over-the-top "swanky" banks.

If you think Health Insurance CEO's and Hospital Directors deserve multi-million dollar annual salaries and bonuses, then spend your money there.  (BTW, their bonuses are based on saving the company money.  How do they do that?  By not covering the service and/or denying payments.)  But currently, we have no choice and we are forced to buy from them.  

Give the consumers more options!

With affordable health care insurance or marketplace insurance, the companies are required to spend a certain amount on actual health care costs. If they do not meet this rate, they have to give the not spent portion of incoming premium money back to the consumer. I have gotten a free month for the last several years and this year my health insurance company did not raise rates. I am on ACA coverage and it costs me $1400 a month dental and medical. The cheaper policies don't cover anything and have high deductibles and this plan actually ends up being cheaper for myself mathmatically as I add up my yearly expenses. I am a high end user unfortunately but would like to be a never user!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter   i am confused and not  sure what you are asking.

Trusted Contributor

Yes hospital costs are ridiculus especially when you aren't admitted.  If you aren't admitted to the hospital it often gives your insurance company reason to cover less.

My son was in the ER and the cost to me is $15K.  I'm fighting the cost as they performed many expensive tests prior to even notifying me he was in the ER.  He is a 16 year old kid who lied to me about where he was and got into an accident overnight.  Yes he is basically an idiot but we are also being taken advantage of.