Esteemed Contributor

Hope not to fly again any time soon

[ Edited ]

During the month of May, I took 4 flights. My grandson graduated from college and my granddaughter graduated from high school. Both events were three weeks apart, so my husband and I took two separate round trips from Rochester NY to Orlando FL. Rochester has privatized their security operation. On our first trip down, the lines were out the door. I have flown out of that airport many times and never saw anything like it. I saw people running to gates with shoes in their hands, which they'd removed at security, to save a few seconds.

Orlando has made an effort to beef up their staff. The lines were hideous but on our second trip things moved more quickly. However, anyone who thinks that security is for real had better think again. Our TSA agent, who was there to check our boarding passes and IDs, was literally pushing people through on his left AND on his right, at the same time. We were told to arrive at the airport close to three hours before our two-hour flight. Those who have been living in a bubble, and I did see a few, missed their flights. When we entered the Southwest plane to find our seats, which cost more for early boarding, I felt like I was entering a Greyhound bus. I opened my handbag to shut my phone when I discovered I had forgotten to pack away my spray can of sun screen...liquid sun screen. It had gone right through security. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hope not to fly again any time soon

was it a large can?

sometimes smaller cans are left in bags, and the x-ray operator can see that it's small.

Super Contributor

I made a trip across the country to Orlando last week.  I was absolutely amazed at the LACK of lines on Thursday AM (when I left) and on Sunday PM(when I came back).  I have TSA Pre-Check with Southwest so I breeze through, but even the regular security had almost no people waiting.  It must have been the times and days I flew but I have never seen NO LINES at security in Las Vegas - or maybe it was just Southwest?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like one big pain in the rear. I have not flown since the late 70's. LOL!!! I hate flying. I would probably get thrown in jail at the airport. I can be a little impatient & going through airport security would really tick me off. I'm fixing to go to Fl but we are driving. It's a long 2 day drive but better then the airport hassle.

Trusted Contributor

I don't fly..........period.....for any reason.  I would much rather drive for 3 days than to fly for 1 hour!  Fortunately for me, all my family is within a 3.5 hour car trip maximum.

Respected Contributor

i do not like to fly.    the last time was through Orlando & Southwest.  i was pulled aside to be ushered out of line after the xray conveyor thing.  they took me in that glassed room where you are body scanned and they wiped my hands for gun residue!!!  so humiliating.  i pre paid for early boarding and still got a crummy seat.

oh and then on the way to FL i sat in the first row and they made me stuff my purse and carryon 3-4 rows back in the overhead bin which was so packed already and i have a back problem .  the nice air marshall offerred to retrieve the items when we landed.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian, I live in Rochester NY (which you do, as well, I assume?).  Thanks for the heads up about secruity.  I won't be flying until August, but I'll allow lots of time.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

And we pay taxes for this wonderful service!

Valued Contributor

Ooooh my, sounds awful.  I have a flight planned for the end of the month.  Fell in tub 10 days ago and have contusions and a broken rib.  I hope I have an easy and pain free experience.  I am a little worried about how able bodied people sometimes unknowingly push and shove those of us who are slower and for me, right now, slightly handicapped.

Honored Contributor

Wow.  I am flying out of Atlanta and NYC in a few weeks.  Pray for me.  Heart