Esteemed Contributor

I had a 2002 CRV that I sold last year. It had about 120,000 miles on it. It was starting to give me problems. The power steering was going out, the paint had oxidized badly even though I waxed it, it made some strange noises. Inside was great though. It just got to the point it was an embarrassment to drive with the paint looking so bad and the power steering going and I wasn't going to drop thousands on a new paint job for a 14 year old car. I'm driving a new Kia Sorento that has a 10 year 100,000 warranty. 

Honored Contributor

That is a cute car.  Maybe I'll trade in my running-around Honda Fit for the HRV.

I'm a Subaru fan otherwise.  

Respected Contributor

OHHHH folks - I think I have you alllll beat. I am still driving my 1997 Toyota 4runner with 242,000 miles on it! I love it and just can't part with it. No, it has not nickle and dimed me to death. Regular maintenance and the only main part replaced was the a/c unit. Compressor went up.  And brakes of course. Despite faded paint and torn leather seats, I cannot bring myself to pay 45K for a brand new one or 30K for a used one.  So, mechanic said you got another 60K he would say before things just really start to deteriorate. I would need a tutor to get me through all the new gadgets on the new cars!!!

Trusted Contributor

1992 Honda Accord, I am the 2nd owner. Only 121,000 miles on it. It looks like the oldest car on the road.

Still runs like a charm. It is a little tank in the snow, as it is made of steel (as cars used to be made) so it is heavy. I can zip through snow and I feel safe, no skidding or fish tailing that I see from cars made of that lightweight material cars are made of now.

At 25 years old, my mechanic told me I now own an "antique". Cars are considered antique at 25 years I guess. He said "you will never find any newer car that is made as well as cars of yesteryear. As with anything now, even cars are made to be replaced sooner than ever. People do not keep their cars for a long time anymore.

I do have car envy though. There is no reason for me to get rid of my car, but I have just recently entered some sort of phase where I feel I want a newer car. No real reason, I just get sick of people asking me "hey, what year  is that?" because even from the design of it, it is clearly an old car. And I am old, so me and my car make a good team Smiley Happy

Honda's last forever if you take care of them. Mine not be as shiny as it used to be, but boy has she been loyal to me. I have not put any big buck repairs into it, except the muffler (once). And regular stuff like brakes, oil changes. I just had to buy a new battery last week, guy told me "your battery is 10 years old!", he was shocked.

I have had 2 household repair men stop on their way through my garage to get to my inside garage door and offer to buy it from me, on the spot. Men seem to like old Honda's, not sure why?

Nothing is made like years ago. I had to part with a very reliable 28 year old washer last year. I can't even imagine how many loads of wash that it did. 4 kids, 2 adults, 28 years? Yeesh, thousands of spin cycles. It didn't even really die, it just was not spinning clothes out well enough anymore, which was annoying, but it needed a part that the repair person could not even find anywhere USA!

I was so sad! I wanted a plain 'ole washer. Can't buy those anymore. Have to buy these new fangled washers that don't give you enough water, take an hour to wash a load, sounds like a jet taking off from my basement. I HATE, HATE my new washer.

So I would probably hate a new car too haha. I get in new cars of friends and feel like I am in a computer center! I just want a steering wheel, gas pedal, brakes, and a radio. I do not need it to talk to me. And I want KEYS, I don't want to push a button to start it. I would not be able to deal Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Still driving my Saturn 2002 with over 100,000 miles. 

Honored Contributor

We gave serious consideration to a HRV when we purchased a small SUV last year.  I liked the simplicity of it and came close to buying one for myself.  It all came down to our trade in, and it seemed like the Honda dealership didn't have much desire to take a GM car in trade so we ended up buying a GM vehicle.

Trusted Contributor

@gabstoomuch. I had to get a new washer, I got a speed queen Comercial heavy duty. 

I can choose water level, no locking lid, no special detergent.

2017 is the last year they will be allowed to make old fashion washers. And dish washers are next, people complain the dishes do not get clean. EPA regulations.

I love my washer. If you can afford it, I would recommend it to anyone.

Honored Contributor

I bought a 1980 MGB convertible when it was brand new. I drove it until 1996 when I sold it to my neighbor because the fees for storing it near our house and having to park it in the garage at work were so high I was barely driving it.The guy who bought it from me still drives it - his only car - and he drives it every day , winter & summer. It warms my heart to still see her when we go home to Pittsburgh in the summer. That car is 37 years old.When it needed new upholstery and roof I took it to Mark Cuban's Dad & Uncle, at their shop near where I grew up.