Respected Contributor

Re: Home perms.....anyone done this lately?

I remember in 7th grade we all took dance lessons at a local dance studio.  In Dec. there was a end of the class dance.  My mother gave me a Tony perm that day.  As if that wasn't a bad enough idea, she rolled all of my hair going forward instead of backward.   Needless to say, it was awful.  We brushed and brushed and sprayed and sprayed and I went but I wished I had stayed home and skipped the dance.  It was awful.  That was the last perm she gave me.

Esteemed Contributor

Best of luck to you! I don't think I know anyone who wants a home perm, but if you think it will help, go for it!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother always wanted a little girl with cute, curly hair!!  Hers was very straight, fine hair and my Dad had gorgeous wavy, strawberry blond hair!!  Well, I was born with stick, straight hair!   So we went thru a period of several home perms.  Can still remember that horrible, stinky smell!!

The last home perm was when I was a teen and I had just had a perm that morning.  But my good friend called and asked me to go swimming with a bunch of other teen friends.  I had to go!! Mom said "okay, but don't get your hair wet!!"  Of course, I came home with slightly wet hair and not much perm!!  She was pretty angry, but that was the last home perm!!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I can understand wanting to try something different.  My concern would be the chemicals.  As I get older my hair is thinning so I baby it as much as possible. That may not apply to you so it may be something fun to try. 

Unfortunately, I have hair that looks like a continual bad perm.  I used to straighten it in high school, but it ruined my hair so no more chemicals for me.  I do my best to hide it with clips and headbands but recently bought a wig.