Respected Contributor

Home perms.....anyone done this lately?

My mother gave me home perms as a child and I permed my hair into my 30s.  Then I started coloring it and decided one process was all my hair could take.  I had many frizzy perms and breakage at home and salon.  Now being bored at home I was thinking about a body wave to give my hair some thickness and life.  Anyone done this at home and what did you use.  Also is your hair color treated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Home perms.....anyone done this lately?

Actually just coloring your hair will give thickness and body.  Hairdressers have always told me do one or the other but not both.  I gave up shampoo about 5 years ago and follow the Curly Girl Method and now I have more volume because breakage is zero now.  I used WEN for years and my hair was frazzled.  No More.

Look it up and look at the before and after pics of those using the CG method.  My hairdresser asked me over and over what I was doing.

Esteemed Contributor

I was never brave enough to perm my own hair.  Years ago I went and had it done.  She also colored my hair, not at the same time of course. I think we waited a few weeks in between. My hair never became dry or frizzy.

I stopped perms along time ago and haven't colored it since I retired in 2015.

It's dark blonde with very little grey.

My Mom did the Toni home person when I was a kid.  Oh Lord, it was not a good look.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet  I had the same experience as you.  Mom gave me perms through high school.  At 19 I cut my hair short.  Had several salon perms through my 40s.  Now I no longer get perms or color my hair.  I am nowhere near that "bored" that I would think of giving myself a perm!!

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

My mother gave me home perms as a child and I permed my hair into my 30s.  Then I started coloring it and decided one process was all my hair could take.  I had many frizzy perms and breakage at home and salon.  Now being bored at home I was thinking about a body wave to give my hair some thickness and life.  Anyone done this at home and what did you use.  Also is your hair color treated.

@chiclet wrote:

You can color and perm. There is no rule that states that you have to do one or the other. I've been a stylist for 20 years and I color and perm my hair. The trick is, the hair must be in great condition, and wait a week in between processes. I would not recommend a perm on a high-lift blonde though. 

Honored Contributor

I color my own, but get a professional perm.  In fact, I have one scheduled for my next appointment in October.  After my experience with even professional perms, I would NEVER try to home perm.  There are different pro formulations for different hair types.  There are also techniques involved with the rolling process that are essential to getting a good result, not to mention how difficult it would be to do a good job on that first rinse with the rods still in.  You gotta get really in there and rinse, rinse, rinse, and when you think surely that's enough rinse some more.  Then, you have to add neutralizer to drippy rods becasue even after blotting well with a towel, they're still drippy.  

I'm a big proponent of perms to the naysayers who say don't get one.  But, I would never recommend someone do one on themselves.  

Esteemed Contributor

Would not dare.  My mom failed and no doubt I would too.  Just the old photos scare me.

Valued Contributor

As a hairdresser, I agree the hair really needs to be in good condition for two chemicals.

There is probably no way you can roll a perm yourself using the right amt. Of tension.Too tight & you run the risk off breakage .

If you have color, not high lift, please use one for color or even for high lift to avoid dryness & if you are worried, a larger size rod gives you more body less curl & probably less frizz.

I would not go by box time .You can let a curl down & see a S pattern & its time! Rinse very very good.Blot with paper towels real well (each rod)& then apply neutralizer.Also you can airdry for 10 min.if you feel like its too wet.Neutralize for 5 min.( lI take rods down now to get good ribse)Rinse well .Then apply light conditioner& rinse
.Never brush curl .Always pick hair unless you do roller set or curling iron.You will just break up curl pattern which result is fuzz.
Good luck & we be rooting for you.Let us know.

Take care & have a good wkend.
Respected Contributor

I have rolled and given myself many perms many years ago and it was a job rolling it.  Once when I was in my 20's I asked my husband to apply the perm lotion.  After he did half my hair he said he needed more.  I said there is no more!!!!   Instead of just washing it out immediately I panicked and yelled.   Long story short....one side of my hair was full and fluffy with some curl and the other side was straight and flat.  Definitely not a good look.   I think I might rethink the perm.....

Respected Contributor

Haven't had a perm in several decades.  Since my hair is getting curlier as I age, it's not likely I'll ever perm again.