Esteemed Contributor

Home Depot nearly killed me.

New gas dryer install.  Told the installers that there was a gas smell both said there was none saying it was a new dryer smell. The younger man was belligerent and rude.  Two hours later  felt very sick.  Called the emergency gas company (Nicor) . They told me get out of the house immediately. The emergency responder was wonderful.  He told me you should not let Home Depot get away with this. Never saw a dryer installed like this.IMG_20201215_133825.jpg

Never had an appliance installed in this manner. Installer moved my wash machine took it out balance pushed it up against the wall and left it there. No protective slippers, scratched the wood door but Thank you God for helping me survive this and not dying.

Honored Contributor

Re: Home Depot nearly killed me.

@hopi     please go to their facebook page and website and tell your story... 

Trusted Contributor

@hopi so glad you are OK 💜.  @SeaMaiden gave you great advice.

Honored Contributor

@hopi   Thank goodness everything turned out okay.  This could have had dire consequences.

I would contact Home Depot immediately.    The guys who did the install are independent contractors and not HD employees.  They need to know not to hire them again.

I would also tell them you want your wood floor fixed. Contact an attorney for guidance to see if there is any other recourse for you.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of people that cannot smell gas.... I for one smell it immediately no matter how small .... I had a gas leak in my laundry room that the plumber could not detect so I called the gas company 3 times & finally on the 3rd time the gas company worker found the leak .... if I didn’t keep insisting that I smelled gas my house could have blown up!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hopi, Thank you for posting this.  People with sensitive noses should never discount the smell of gas from a pipe or appliance, or even from outside of their homes. 

No one should ever think that this is a non-emergency.  Every second counts.  

Honored Contributor

@January121      Always call the Fire Department if you have a gas leak.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@hopi 

I would contact the Headquarters, in writing, detailing exactly what you experienced. Then I would contact all local media and tell them you story. I don't think much of our BBB, but I would notify them also.

If these installers are subcontractors of this company, you should get their names and see if they are licensed to do this type of work. 

Will tell you this. Were this done to me, those installers would pay some kind of price for what could have caused death. Nobody should get off Scott free of potential homicide.

So glad you were/are safe.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hopi so glad you are ok.  you've gotten good advice here.  one thing i will add.  please get a carbon monoxide detector.  those are vital for homes with gas appliances.

Honored Contributor

The subcontractors that many large stores hook their customers up with for installation and for other types of work, including remodeling, can be very, very uneven. I once had a new stove installed and the contractors sent out by a now defunct but once major department store wanted to run an external extension cord to a wall outlet to provide power to the stove. I coudn't believe it. Instead, unknown to me, they hooked into the power supply to the dishwasher, which I later came to understand required it's own circuit. It's unfortunate that in today's world, vetting the people they send out there seems to be of little concern, as does providing a quality service. Moreover, as a private citizen, finding qualified help can be a huge challenge. By all means, hold Home Depot accountable and the subcontractor too.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...