Respected Contributor

Re: Home Depot nearly killed me.

You can contact your state attorney general's office of consumer affairs and file a complaint. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Super Contributor

Wow thank goodness you're okay. Gas smells always scare me. I just ordered a refrigerator and gas stove from Home Depot and they are installing them. I really hope they know what they are doing. Yikes! 

Honored Contributor

@hopi 

Thankfully you had common sense they "didn't" have ... believe me I would have MARCHED right into that HD and made a huge stink and DEMANDED all my money back for delivery and installation.

In fact, would have had them take the whole thing back!!! I'd be furious.

This is ONE reason why I buy nothing from BIG BOX stores such as Lowes or HD!  They sub-contract and who knows what you'll get and who they are!!

Case in point, I got a quote from HD for my new flooring for the house.  The salesgirl told me their installers worked for HD and NOT subcontractors who do work for HD.

BS -- the guy that came to measure YES was from the HD store and was an employee BUT the subcontractor contacted me WAS NOT A EMPLOYEE NOR HAD REFERENCES in our County except HD.

Needless to say - appliances I buy through our local appliance store and any work done in my home is through a license, bonded and insured contractor.  I'm willing to pay more ...

Respected Contributor

I would take myself to the HD store and have a face to face discussion with the store manager.

I've tried to leave negative reviews on the HD website but they won't let me.

My reviews are rejected because they are "negative".  So don't believe all those 5 star ratings you see.

Super Contributor

Just as a general question, I wonder if, when they say installation is included, you could get them to knock off the installation cost off the price because you have your own contractor for installing it?  I have one guy in my town that I trust and use exclusively for any gas appliance issues.  I don't know if Home Depot or Lowe's would do that??

Man plans. God laughs.
Valued Contributor

@hopi Have not seen a reply from you as whether you have contacted H D.please please they could be installing one in invalid or small child's house who might not be as lucky.

Please call & if it is subcontractor maybe you could get their name & call that work place.I know this is not your job title but it could save someone.

Thankful that you got help! Those emergency gas people should have a way to try to cite these dummies!

Trusted Contributor

@hopi wrote:

New gas dryer install.  Told the installers that there was a gas smell both said there was none saying it was a new dryer smell. The younger man was belligerent and rude.  Two hours later  felt very sick.  Called the emergency gas company (Nicor) . They told me get out of the house immediately. The emergency responder was wonderful.  He told me you should not let Home Depot get away with this. Never saw a dryer installed like this.IMG_20201215_133825.jpg

Never had an appliance installed in this manner. Installer moved my wash machine took it out balance pushed it up against the wall and left it there. No protective slippers, scratched the wood door but Thank you God for helping me survive this and not dying.

this is where you ask them to leave and call home depot, once they started climbing on your appliances. after the fact could have gotten you killed.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi,  it would be a good idea for you to get a written report from the emergency gas company.  Depending on the response you get from HD and what your ultimate goal is you may need written documentation outlining the problem, the danger and what needed to be done to correct the error.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut ...I couldn't have said it better.  These installers must be stopped before they cause a death, terrible, just terrible.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Home Depot nearly killed me.

I am so glad you stuck to your guns about smelling gas.  Please do what Hckynut suggested.  Thank God you are okay.  What happened to you is frightening, and I have no doubt that everyone who read your post will be on high alert, should they have anything that uses gas be installed in their home.  Happy Holidays to you and a Very Happy New Year.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam