Respected Contributor

Re: Holidays - like walking on eggs

So what happened on Mother's Day?  Did you have to host that too?

Honored Contributor

Say you are taking your DH out to breakfast or lunch and ask if they want to come by later to visit or if they want you to stop by their home.  Also, maybe SIL has a Dad he wants to spend time with too.  If they come to your home you could serve dessert--even ice cream and cookies since the kids would like that.

Honored Contributor

In general: 'Seems to me' that some moms are afraid to 'speak up' and/or casually discuss big and/or small matters.  'Gee', I really don't understand it.  Just casually talking with daughters about 'this and that' should (imo) be natural.  Doesn't 'natural' mean 'in nature' (?)  Talking is a given, as long as it's polite, civilized, etc.  Just 'this and that' talking to close family members/friends, etc.  ........... p.s.  I'm only guessing that's why some adult children aren't very motivated to help mom out.  'Cause' mom hasn't ever dared asked them to. .............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

In general: 'Seems to me' that some moms are afraid to 'speak up' and/or casually discuss big and/or small matters.  'Gee', I really don't understand it.  Just casually talking with daughters about 'this and that' should (imo) be natural.  Doesn't 'natural' mean 'in nature' (?)  Talking is a given, as long as it's polite, civilized, etc.  Just 'this and that' talking to close family members/friends, etc.  ........... p.s.  I'm only guessing that's why some adult children aren't very motivated to help mom out.  'Cause' mom hasn't ever dared asked them to. .............

I never really understood why so many people seem to have problems and situations that could easily be straightened out by simply speaking to the other person.  Some of our friends and relatives can be difficult, I get that  But not even attempting to open up a dialogue about it just makes no sense to me.  Especially when it's a close relative, such as a spouse or child.

Not everything has to be a confrontation and not everything has to be so dramatic.  There's a lot to be said for, as you put it, casual conversation.

Honored Contributor

All holidays entertaining are stressful.

I let people know right away I do not host any parties at my house. I am a wreck 7 days before and the day of the party I completely lose it and then for 7 days after I complain why was I so dumb as to host another party. I use to host parties when i was younger but no longer. My DD is the entertainer. She loves parties at her house and she will entertain every day of the week.

I guess there comes a day when you just tell people no more parties here. You wish you could but you are not up to the task any longer.

If dh and I would like to entertain a couple we take them to a nice restaurant.  

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl....how did Father's day go?

Super Contributor

Well, our son (single) said he'd have a BBQ and he told everyone that he was firing up the grill and to bring whatever they wanted to grill.  So, I brought what DH and I wanted to grill along with a large container to potato salad, and bakery cookies for dessert.  Our son grilled what he wanted and he furnished another dessert item, all the drinks, and all the paper products.  DD brought what they wanted to grill along with a small container of potato salad.   We just put everything out together on a giant table.  Well, when DD's teen step-son dug into OUR potato salad, his father said, "Oh, don't eat that one.  Ours is the small one.  We're not sharing."  [then there was this stupid giggle]  I was totallly mortified.  I told the kid to please have the potato salad and anything he wanted for that matter.  

So, that was how the day went.    I'm beginning to think the problem is not with DD, but with new SIL.  

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl  I can only hope your SIL was attempting to make a joke.  If not, then Yikes, he is a problem child and not very nice.

He wouldn't fit in well with my family,  We feed everyone, even if they are not hungry

it sounds like your son saved the day with a great solution where everyone pitched in.