Honored Contributor

I am trying to convince DH of doing something different over the holiday...Christmas to be specific.

Since I married in my middle 20's I originally hosted my family for Christmas and then last 20 years a friend and my step daughter on Christmas day.  I also host grand daughter and her family, as well as unmarried granddaughter a week or so before Christmas day.

My family no longer gets together...long story.

Honestly, I am tired of doing it, no longer is it fun.  We are getting a little older and really I cook, we eat and talk a bit and then the day is over, I just don't want to do it any longer.

My concern is my friend who may, (well probably) be alone on Chrismtas day as well as my step daughter.  Both women range in age from 50 - 65.....not kids.  I'd like to get on a plane and fly somewhere on Christmas day and stay away for a few days, does that sound selfish?

I am still good friends with the friend that comes over on Christmas day but but we are not as close as we once were, she has reconnected with other family members and I have seem to taken a second seat...which is fine but this makes me feel not so obligated to host Christmas day.

Respected Contributor

You are entitled to do what you want on the holiday.  I would suggest if you do plan on going away to let everyone know as far in advance as possible.  This will allow them to make other plans so that if they don't want to be alone, they don't have to be.  I hope you and your DH can come to an agreement that makes both of you happy.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I don't do holidays so I probably should not answer.  Smile.  I say go for it.  Do it and see if you like it.  This might become a new tradition for you.  In no way do I find you selfish for wanting it.  Listen to your heart, then follow it.

Respected Contributor

OP I can totally understand how you feel.  I have gone on vacation at Christmas once before and my sister tried to make me feel guilty about it. We are doing it again this year and I decided it's my life and I need to live it and enjoy it.  My partner has a very hard time getting time off from work so we often have to choose our dates based on that and Christmas time is a good time for him because so many coworkers are out for the holidays and will not be trying to get him.  My advice is, do what works for you and don't worry about everyone else for a change.  You have to take care of your own needs in order to live a happy life. You sound like someone who takes care of others a lot. You deserve to have a good time and be happy.  I have to say, being away at Christmas is SO nice, you can't believe it. No burdens of traveling to and fro, cooking, cleaning, etc. Go for it!

Respected Contributor

Do whatever will let you sleep. Try to fast forward to December and inventory how you will feel if you go out of town. If it will bother you leave on 12/26. If not go. Maybe invite them to join you out of town?

Trusted Contributor

Maybe just go to a really nice hotel for a day or two. Hubby and I  alway go to ours for new years. Christmas decorations are still up. Relax, walk arounds the grounds smell the snow and the fresh air, go for a ride in the mountains. It wonderful.

Respected Contributor

I suggest hosting your friend and grandaughter before or after your trip.  Have pizza.  That way you can see them, and still go on vacation.  The "holiday" can be any day.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Are you just tired of entertaining them?  Then the time has come to have them pick up the slack.

Or are trying a geographical cure?  Those never work.

Honored Contributor

i could never go away during the holidays.....afterwards, yes.....before, yes.......during, no.

however, that is what i would do.

if you dont want to do it and your husband is fine with it then start making your plans now, inform those who need to be informed, and book your tickets/hotel/activities.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Are you just tired of entertaining them?  Then the time has come to have them pick up the slack.

Or are trying a geographical cure?  Those never work.

@Still Raining , I do not know what that means (above in blue)...but I am just tired of doing it..step daughter cannot and friend works retail...no time.