Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee ...We do see step daughter when we get together with her kids and grandkids.  We do that a week or two before Christmas, then I do Christmas day....just tired of doing it after 40 years, that is why I want to give up Christmas day and get out of dodge.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 , that sounds nice but my idea is to be gone over Christmas so that I do not have to entertain.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - If you are really not into entertaining any more the the holidays, then you already have your answer. Go for it! However, depending on where you plan on visiting, you had better make reservations quickly. A lot of people travel from Thanksgiving through the First of the year.

Honored Contributor

I can totally relate to that.  I feel similarly myself.  I'm close to 60 and I have been making Thankgiving, Christmas, Easter and all the holidays since my mother passed the torch to me about 25 years ago.  I admit that I loved it for most that time and when my mom was alive, we did Christmas and Thankgiving together.  It was our time.  I also have a bff, she never married and has no children and spends her holidays with us.  She is family.  She has huge home and does give a wonderful Holiday party but she has never volunteered to do one of the holiday dinners.  My own girls are married with lovely homes and they each have child.  Granted, they have taken charge of Mother's Day and Father's Day.  I'm grateful, they do a lovely job but it would be so nice if they took the holidays or if we rotated homes.  I'd enjoy being a guest!   My own mother didn't simply said  "it's time for you to do the holidays now" she passed down some serving pieces that came from her mother.  I don't know why, I'm just reluctant to do that....now.  Hubby says it's because I don't want the work but I still want to be in control.  He's probably right.  I do know that I'm not going to be one of those ladies who cooks, cleans, serves, decorates yada yada yada for 30 people when she's 80 years old.  You do have a right to have the type of Christmas that you want.  Your husband is the only one you have to consider.  If you want a quieter, easier holdiay season; it's up to you to plan it and let everyone know that things have changed. It's not going to happen if you don't make it happen.  Perhaps you could host a family party in which everyone brings something before Christmas and take a nice Christmas trip with your husband.  Start a new tradition.  Of course, you would have to let everyone know well in advance.