Honored Contributor

Holding a Grudge

[ Edited ]

Has anyone ever held a grudge against you for a very long time?

When I have reason to be upset or mad I always forgive quickly and  I dont hold a grudge. 

I have this former friend that got upset at me a long time ago and it was such a silly thing. She never accepted my apology and never moved on!

Seems like a waste of time and energy to act this way over  a misunderstanding over a guy!

She had been spoiled her whole life so maybe this contributed to how she acted.  I would speak to her if she would speak to me and I would even be friends again.  We used to be such good friends and had so much in common.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Holding a Grudge

[ Edited ]

Send her good thoughts and release your relationship,,,,

Honored Contributor

I don’t hold a grudge but if a person continues with a particularly upsetting behavior I will most likely stop the friendship....so I guess that could be considered a grudge.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

When I have reason to be upset or mad I always forgive quickly and  I dont hold a grudge. 

I have this former friend that got upset at me a long time ago and it was such a silly thing. She never accepted my apology and never moved on!

Seems like a waste of time and energy to act this way over a silly thing. It was nothing major at all. Just a misunderstanding over a guy! She had been spoiled her whole life so maybe this contributed to how she acted.

@CherryHugs  No matter what her reasons, it sounds childish on her part. I let go of any toxic energy (people, too) in my life.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs--My mom did toward me and my 2 brothers for over 20 years--she had mental problems and refused treatment so we left her to her nasty self until the last few years of her life, she died 4 years ago--and my brothers cared for her. She never saw her 6 grand kids for 20 years either and she left what little she had to my youngest brother and wrote myself and the other bro out of her will--not that we wanted anything, but kind of the final straw. I forgive her but won't forget. Poor, miserable person!!

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs  10 years ago a good friend stopped speaking to me because I didn’t tell her a secret about another friend.The other friend told me something in confidence.She specifically asked that I not tell this friend.I will never break  a confidence or a promise.That’s why my friends trust me with their secrets.

About 3 years ago this “former friend “ showed up at my door.She said that she wanted to forget the past & resume our friendship.I told her that wasn’t possible.

I explained to her that there was too much water under the bridge.I don’t need anymore drama in my life.I wished her well & told her that I’ve moved on!! Just to clarify,this former friend had spent the prior years talking trash about me to mutual friends.To the point where they no longer wanted to speak to her either.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Seems like a waste of time and energy to act this way over  a misunderstanding over a guy!

She had been spoiled her whole life so maybe this contributed to how she acted.  I would speak to her if she would speak to me and I would even be friends again.  We used to be such good friends and had so much in common.

Pray for the friend and yourself to be able to let it go.  Do not judge her.  Forget her "spoiled" ways and pray that you can and she can become real friends.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that there are valid reasons why someone would no longer speak to another and I don't call that a grudge.  It all depends on the circumstances.  My feeling is that if someone gets angry over something trivial, then that can be dealt with.  If it is a larger issue, depending on the issue, that is quite different.  If someone is bothered about someone else refusing contact, then I would make a last attempt to rectify the situation.  Either it works or it doesn't work.  I don't believe in forcing the issue at that point.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

letting-go.jpg

Honored Contributor

Not me personally but my brother had a grudge against my sister and in turn she held one against him just because he had one against her.

I have no clue what it was and never wanted to be put in the middle.  Each would try to get me to take sides, not talk or bother with the other.

They were both too stubborn to kiss and make up, unfortunately he passed first and she never really knew what it was all about and lived the rest of her life wondering.

It still makes me sad.

I have two cousins, siblings doing the exact same thing and even though I did try to talk to each of them, neither will budge.  One day one of them will regret it.