Respected Contributor

Re: High road or Reality road?

@SunSprite wrote:

@hyacinth003 

Like many others here I'm sure, I've followed along with your story without posting. 

First, I just want to say how sorry I am for your loss. I'm particularly close to my own Dad and I imagine your grief has to be overwhelming. 

I wanted to offer another possibility, one that would have certainly circumvented the need to prove executorship to change the address. Could your brother and sister in law have done this change of address prior to your father's passing?

Best of luck to you and sending kind thoughts your way

@SunSprite 

Thank you for your kind words.  I surely don't know when the change of address was made.  Either which way, she opened all the mail even after asking them not to more than once.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

That is exatly what I said.............if she chooses to take action which means filing a complaint with the Post Office!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the SIL or brother had to do was file a change of address online at USPS.com or leave a change of address form in her mailbox.  The mail at that point was addressed to the father and not to he Estate of.........

When the OP went down to the Post Office to have ALL her father's name forwarded to her, she supplied them with a death certificate and a legal notice that she was Executor of the Estate, at that time the OP was able to obtained all the information she needed regarding  her father's mail.  She has stated this MORE than once!!!

The OP has mentioned there was an additional insurance policy, she never said it was a life insurance policy, in fact she never said the kind of policy it was!!!!!!!!!!

@Somertime 

It was not a life insurance policy.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 :  Are you taking care of yourself?  Just thinking of you.

Valued Contributor

My opinion is different but imma say it anyway.

The "high road' just sounds like a neglectful way to ingnore things so u dont have to deal w anything. Im not into that because at some point this will haunt you later.

Deal with whatever comes up NOW not months or years later, NOW! That means communicating w a supervisor/manager someone w brains and authority or hiring an attorney or whomever you need to get this resolved. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Trusted Contributor

@SpacrazyI had the same experience with my brother also.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't read all the replies.

If you are missing communications from assisted living, I would contact their business office directly, and notify them in writing that you are the sole executor of your father's estate, and been since (insert date), provide a copy of the Letter Testamentory (or whatever the name of the document is in your state) provided by the Court, request copies of all communications which they have made over the last (however many you need months) and direct them to only communicate with your or your lawyer going forward. 

My condolences on the loss of your father. 

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

I haven't read all the replies.

If you are missing communications from assisted living, I would contact their business office directly, and notify them in writing that you are the sole executor of your father's estate, and been since (insert date), provide a copy of the Letter Testamentory (or whatever the name of the document is in your state) provided by the Court, request copies of all communications which they have made over the last (however many you need months) and direct them to only communicate with your or your lawyer going forward. 

My condolences on the loss of your father. 

I don't think she's missing communication from Assisted Living.  She's missing mail that had been sent to her father when he lived there.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 :  I hope you were able to have a peaceful and quiet Thanksgiving holiday.