Respected Contributor

Hey frequent cruisers, big question about shore excursions

So I looked up the port excursions that are available. The cruise app describes each one in great detail, right down to the items you should take with you. So far so good. Then I saw they rate the activity level from mild to strenuous. Several things I was interested in are rated strenuous. Like the six hour tour of Mayan ruins. It is recommended that people with orthopedic issues do not sign up as there are lots of steps to climb, much walking on uneven grounds etc.  Dang. I can barely manage a couple of stairs and even then I must have a handrail. Its my knees. Three total replacements and the last one was very complicated. My surgeon says my pain and difficulty with stairs is something I'll have to live with. Then there's snorkeling listed as strenuous. It says you need to have plenty of stamina to get on and off the catamaran and the swimming and whatnot. I snorkeled in Hawaii but basically we were just wading waist deep with our faces in the water. I'm not a strong swimmer and I don't have much stamina, not like when I was younger.  A beach excursion on Cozumel looked fabulous, all afternoon with nothing but sand sea and an open bar. Listed as "strenuous". Whaaaat???

Actually the only adventures listed as mild or moderate activity levels are the trolley/train ride tours of Key West. 🙄🙄🙄 

help. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Re: Hey frequent cruisers, big question about shore excursions

This might not be the trip for you. No since in the possibility of subjecting yourself to pain and being that far away from home and your physician.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother As someone with knee problems not even close to what you experience, there is no way either of us should go on this cruise. You need something more relaxing!

Honored Contributor

You might do better if you post on the Travelers forum.

Is there any way you can just hang back and lay on the beach instead of doing the Cozumel excursion?

I'm such a stick in the mud, I've been to Cancun 6 times and never made it to Cozumel, Isla Mujeres or Chicken Itza (or whatever they call it). 

But that didn't mean I didn't have a great time!

I've never been on a cruise, but love just sitting or laying on the sand, under an umbrella or in the water.  

I've been snorkeling in Cancun and we used speed boats to get to the spot, easy on, easy off because of the ladder.  Maybe that's an option for you?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's possible that I will spend more time on the cruise ship by the pool, or indulging in spa services or whatever, while my athletic daughter goes on the zip lines and ATV adventures. Lol. That's ok. I will enjoy the trolley tours and of course any shopping expeditions. Short periods of walking are fine, it's mainly stairs and long hikes on uneven terrain that won't work for me. 
oh I looked up the beach day at some famous Cozumel resort. I think they are calling it strenuous because of the water park stuff there. But as far as lying on a beach and wading along a beautiful shoreline, yeah I can do that no problem 😉 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would rely on the description and not go on strenuous excursions with the issues you mention.

I have been on excusions where people ignored the warnings and were upset to find that when they say steps, they mean steps - there are no elevators.  Or they tried to take a wheelchair over rough terrain and found it very hard going.

Esteemed Contributor

Believe the excursion descriptions and plan accordingly.  

Respected Contributor

Are you already booked and confirmed on your cruise?  I do not know what your stops are, but I have been to most of the Western Caribbean ports.

I would never tell anyone not to cruise, because cruise ships can offer accommodations for those that may need them (elevators, wheelchairs), but yes, you need to pay strict attention to the shore excursion information.  First of all, you are traveling to countries that may not have any regulations for physical accommodations.

Well, husband and I are in terrific shape for our ages and we usually book "strenuous" tours, which for him are not quite as difficult as other activities he does regularly (ski, bike, scuba, kayak).

I LOVE to climb Latin American temples (Inca, Aztec, Maya, etc.), and have visited dozens, but yes, it can be VERY, VERY difficult. Most of the time a person has to walk a great distance in extreme heat and jungle paths to first arrive at the building.  The stair stones are uneven in size, some are eroded, there are no handrails or just ropes, the site can be crowded with people jostling, etc.  Some people get scared trying to come down, and have to slide down instead of walking down the steep steps.

I have done the snorkeling often--one must actually jump from the boat into 20/30 feet of water with the fins on to snorkel, and then climb back in--it is the way true snorkeling trips are usually run.  

We have cruised often with older family members and we always make sure we take them on bus tours (limited walking), or get taxis for them, or just do a day at the beach where they can wade into the water.  BUT, we stay with them the entire time.

Overall, Key West is low level energy to visit--the Butterfly observatory is pretty, and the Hemingway house is not too difficult to navigate.  There are many bars and lots of shopping. 

You may want to do an Internet search for accessible tours in ports.  If you are traveling solo, you may wish to consider booking some personal/private transportation to visit some places, and hopefully they could provide assistance as well.  

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Are you already booked and confirmed on your cruise?  I do not know what your stops are, but I have been to most of the Western Caribbean ports.

I would never tell anyone not to cruise, because cruise ships can offer accommodations for those that may need them (elevators, wheelchairs), but yes, you need to pay strict attention to the shore excursion information.  First of all, you are traveling to countries that may not have any regulations for physical accommodations.

Well, husband and I are in terrific shape for our ages and we usually book "strenuous" tours, which for him are not quite as difficult as other activities he does regularly (ski, bike, scuba, kayak).

I LOVE to climb Latin American temples (Inca, Aztec, Maya, etc.), and have visited dozens, but yes, it can be VERY, VERY difficult. Most of the time a person has to walk a great distance in extreme heat and jungle paths to first arrive at the building.  The stair stones are uneven in size, some are eroded, there are no handrails or just ropes, the site can be crowded with people jostling, etc.  Some people get scared trying to come down, and have to slide down instead of walking down the steep steps.

I have done the snorkeling often--one must actually jump from the boat into 20/30 feet of water with the fins on to snorkel, and then climb back in--it is the way true snorkeling trips are usually run.  

We have cruised often with older family members and we always make sure we take them on bus tours (limited walking), or get taxis for them, or just do a day at the beach where they can wade into the water.  BUT, we stay with them the entire time.

Overall, Key West is low level energy to visit--the Butterfly observatory is pretty, and the Hemingway house is not too difficult to navigate.  There are many bars and lots of shopping. 

You may want to do an Internet search for accessible tours in ports.  If you are traveling solo, you may wish to consider booking some personal/private transportation to visit some places, and hopefully they could provide assistance as well.  

Thank you so much for the very detailed info. Yes the snorkeling is conducted just as you prescribed. Not something I would feel safe doing. I will be with my 35 yr old daughter who is extremely physically fit and athletic. She is treating me to this cruise 💞

I know I'll enjoy Key West! The other ladies who also said heed the tour warnings, yes I believe you. I'm super excited to go on my first cruise with my (now) only child. And to experience all of the amenities. The ports are a bonus. I'm sure I'll have a great time even with low key activities. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Well, let's look at the bright side - you'll get to drink a lot.