Respected Contributor

Help with what something is called!

I'm searching for handles for french style doors and what I need is one that has what I call a back plate:   I need an approximate length for it and a certain width (to cover some old holes!) and I'm finding very limited options.  I think I'm not calling it what it really is.  So what I'm looking for is the style handle that also has that plate that sits flush on the door underneath the handle or as part of the handle.  Just fyi, I'm needing 4 of them (1 for each side of the two doors).   Can you help with proper search terms?  I feel like there should be more options out there!  Also any recommendations on where to shop online for them would also be very appreciated.  I'll try a picture here for an example 

SMARTSTANDARD 12” Antique Rustic Handmade Barn Door Handle, Black Flush Long Base Handle Pull, for Gate, Shed, Garage

Honored Contributor

Re: Help with what something is called!

@moonandthestars   Go to a website called Build With Ferguson and search for French Door Sets. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you are correct to call it a back plate.  Sometimes also called a pull plate when used with a push plate for swinging doors.

They do not seem to be so common and are really rare for small dimensions.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

There are a lot of them on Amazon but they all look pretty much the same.

Esteemed Contributor

Resteration Hardware is a good option.    rh.com   I think or just google.  Good luck

Honored Contributor

That's quite a long backplate.  Didn't see any that long. 

I suggest you use wood fill to fill the existing holes, paint over them or stain depending on the finish of your doors to cover them up.  If the doors are vinyl, I'm sure there is something to use to plug into the holes.  

This size is about average of what I'm seeing

Trusted Contributor

@moonandthestars  It may also be called an escutcheon or a dummy backplate.

Honored Contributor

Try Resturation Hardware.  You will be in love!!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Thank you - the website was very helpful to me!  It didn't have what I need, and too expensive, however I found the search term for what I'm looking for: a pull plate or a push plate.  So, that information has really opened up the search for me.

@ECBG @decaf @Foxxee @mspatmac   Thank you all for the replies.  I'm definitely going to check restoration hardware.  Can't believe I didn't think of it myself - i LOVe that store.  However, it maybe be too pricey for what I need it for.  we'll see!  I'll have fun browsing, that's for sure.

I'm in the process of getting an older lake home updated and renovated to put it on the market for sale, so I'm trying to keep costs down.  But I want it to look cute - look the best it can be. Not only because it's going up for sale, but because it was a family home.  I didn't realize that one of the doors was missing a handle and the others are a bit mismatched, so I'm trying to find something that covers the holes, doesn't cost a fortune, and can get to me fast. it's supposed to be listed the week after next!

Well, if anyone stumbles across something, I need the base to be 2" wide.(cld be a little more)  The length could be 10 - 12" or maybe a little longer.  Black?  I'm open.  It's for nice interior french doors.  One room has cathedral ceiling and beautiful wood panelling, the other side has white walls and lots of windows.  Both sides of the door should have the same color door handle, right?  

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars 

Yes, both sides should be the same. 

Let me know if I can help.  I taught Interior Design and wrote the curriculum for NC.