Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you made out your wills yet?

Yes, it is a difficult thing to do but the smart thing to do.

I lost 2 family members just a few months apart a couple years

ago. One did have a will and the other who was younger did not.

It was a very stressful and tough time to go through. 

Do not put it off. It is a weight off your shoulder when it is completed.

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have had a Trust (and all accompanying documents since before my 60th birthday.  This package was revised when we moved to Arizona (states have differing laws).  That said, my Son, who is 31, have us POA just in case, and I think I'll suggest a boiler plate will for him (he doesn't have much but does have two sons).  I used to give Suze Orman kits as wedding and retirement gifts (always were well received). My point is don't put off doing upfront planning, and it you can't afford a lawyer, boiler plate is better than nothing.  I was executrix for both my parent'sestates (did this from CA when they were in MD) and a well designed Trust avoids a lot of pitfalls.  

Esteemed Contributor

Twenty years ago.
Honored Contributor

yes our lives changed quickly when my spouse got ill.  As it was totally unexpected, of course, and our wills were not updated to the degree I wanted them.

Of course, both our boys knew the contents but I wanted to make sure our paperwork and records were as up to date as possible.

My one son is pretty well off and understands our reasoning for our decisions, therefore, they'll be no problems BUT then again, I won't be here so does it matter???

I feel better knowing everything is prepaid and in order.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  Don't wait until the time your mom passes away to speak up. Talk with your mom ASAP so she's able to have her Will changed. She needs to decide who (perhaps her attorney?) will be the executor! That would be the wisest choice IMO. It's too much for a relative to handle!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Many, many years ago to make sure our young child was protected and our wishes would be followed.  I don't care what age you are you need to make a will.

Trusted Contributor

I may be mistaken, but I thought that if there is no executor, a Court would appoint one. 

If you don't know of a person you'd trust or would be willing to be your Executor, there are Fiduciary companies that handle this.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Unless there was absolutely no one else to take on the job of executor there is no way I would ask a neighbor to do it.

How well do you know your neighbors/friends?

Well enough to know that they are not our/my friends and enough to know, even though we would be dead and it wouldn't matter, that our business would be plastered all over the neighborhood in a NY minute.

As I said, a neighbor would be the very last consideration.

Trusted Contributor

We made our wills a few years ago. My sister and our son are co-executors.

We have cats and my sister has agreed to take on the responsibility for the cats, should anything happen to us. We included that in our wills and also included money for the cats' care. It was the right thing to do. And she'll take good care of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We did wills when the children were born mainly because our son is adopted the attorney said to state "Any children born to or adopted by this marriage.....". We appointed an executor and who would care for our children. 

When they were 21, we went over the will and made obvious changes with our attorney. There have been inheritances by parents and grandparents to DH and me over the 50 years and investments & property we didn't own since the 1st will. We added a medical power of attorney and a DNR for each of us.