Esteemed Contributor

Have you ever reached out for help and been refused a request?

[ Edited ]

How did you handle/accept it?  Forgive?  Forget?

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you everr reached out for help and been refused a request?

Reach out to whom?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Family or friend....

Thanks

Respected Contributor

For me, accept and move on.  Forgive/Forget is not something that necessarily happens easily for me.  The people and circumstances and the situation are key factors as well as wisdom and understanding.

Honored Contributor

And for what kind of help?  Some requests may be impractical or impossible.  You need to include more than the most cryptic information. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Yes. There is a national charity that uses employers to pressure employees to donate a portion of their salaries to the charity. Many (many) years ago when I was in desperate need of help/advice/direction, I reached out to this charity and was rudely rebuffed. Every time I saw a request to donate to them thereafter, in the trash it went.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

Not really although not sure what you "reached out to someone for"...If a person needs something and I'm available definite YES! I hope someone will be there to help me!

On the other hand if it's my kids or relative wanting a loan (which I'll never see again) or financial assistance for housing,etc. I pay directly to creditor.

Family & friends sometimes think we are ATMs🤔😉

Esteemed Contributor

@Xivambala  The same exact thing happened to me. I was told by my employer that I had to contribute through direct withdrawal out of every paycheck. Then I was placed in charge of putting together a country club fund raising event for the charity.

I wasn't asked I was told.I did it with a smile on my face. A year later my father was dying & my mom was under a lot of stress.I reached out to the people who ran the charity locally.I was snubbed.That was 35 years ago.

I'm a charity giver. I never gave that charity another dime.I canceled my automatic paycheck withdrawals.   
    Years later the charity was involved in a scandal.Apparently, some of the higher ups diverted funds for their own benefit. One of them bought an expensive beach house. Several went to prison.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills    As far as helping others.I'm always there to help people. In fact I go out of my way to when I can. But there have been a few occasions when I've asked for help & have been turned down.

Some times someone can't help, I get that. What hurts is when someone can help but just chooses not to.It's usually the one that always takes but never wants to reciprocate.

Now that I'm older I'm more protective of my feelings. I no longer bother with those who take but never give.DH has helped me to see that I deserve the same consideration & respect that I give to others.

I have fewer friends. But the ones I have are golden.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not about money!

I figure if a person who is not a "taker" (and we all know one of those) and asks for something, there must be a good reason for their asking.   I would do my best to do what is requested of me. 

May be an image of one or more people, food and text that says 'Sometimes we expect more from others because we would be willing to do that much for them.'

Saw this on FaceBook and just started thinking.......